• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dawn

kickbox
I saw it last night. What a rush! Has anyone else seen it yet?
I was dissappointed, though, how Frodo's plight was cut short in the end. I was looking forward to seeing Shelob.

The CG of Gollum was fantastic. I was duly impressed.

I saw it Thursday afternoon.
I am not 100% sure of my reaction yet. I mean, I wasn't blown away as by the first movie, but perhaps it is only because the first had prepared me to expect excellence (and, TT certainly was excellent). Or, perhaps I wish that Peter Jackson had had the freedom to linger over certain events, though I understand that he had a lot of preparation to get down for the third movie.
I was, as with the first, very pleased by the representation of new characters (specifically, Gollum and the Ents).

I saw it opening night and I loved it! As a movie I thought the TT was much more exciting mainly because of the action, the war scenes were fantastic. But I did find it a little less satisfying than the first installment. There was so much more character development in the first movie, which I suppose is to be expected, and you saw the emergence of the fellowship and the friendship that has evolved from the fellowship. But never the less, I thought TT was very well done. Gollum was fantastic, he almost stole the show. It was creepy to see Frodo starting to display some of the characteristics of Gollum because of the influence of the ring.

By the way Dawn, about what you wrote in the spoiler black box...I thought that happens in the third book...I could be wrong, I have to check the book.

By the way Dawn, about what you wrote in the spoiler black box...I thought that happens in the third book...I could be wrong, I have to check the book.

It's in TT. I just checked to be sure.

I haven't seen the movie just yet, but I'm planning to.

Someone told me that they wanted to make two movies instead of three at first. In the end, they wanted to keep the idea of a trilogy, but the scripts were already finished, so they used bits and pieces in order to have enough for an entire film... and that's what happened to The Two Towers.

Is that true? And if it is, did it show?

You are absolutely right Dawn. That part is in the second book. How can I forget, that's how the book ended! That would have been a great cliff hanger, but I guess the movie was pretty long already and they don't need a cliff hanger to lure audiences for the third movie.

It had the feel of being the middle of a story, for sure. Which is not a bad thing. It progresses the story and adds more depth to what has already been introduced. I just would have liked to have seen the movie end the same way the book did. To me, it would have made more sense. But who am I to quetion the powers that be.

I agree with you Dawn. I saw the film on Sunday, and although it was great, I wasn't sure it was quite as good as the first one. Maybe I'd already had the initial WOW factor with the first film.

Do you think it would have been better with a brief summary of what had happened in the first film, similar to how some multi-part TV shows do things?

Gollum was excellent. I particularly enjoyed the scenes where he is fighting with his inner self.

I'm hopefully getting the first film on DVD for Christamas, so I can enjoy it all over again :)

I think they could have done a tastefully short summary that would have worked. It would have bridged the two films together. It's never good to assume that your viewers have seen, or remember, the first in a series. I think Star Wars films are the exception. They stand alone because they can be considered separate stories. Some might disagree. LOR is a story told in three parts.

Still, I enjoyed TT a great deal. My 12-year-old has already seen it twice. I think I created a monster.

I finally got around to seeing Two Towers and loved it.

I was tempted to re-read the book first, but decided not to because I have a rather bad habit of nitpicking the differences between book and film.

Instead, I watched the DVD of Fellowship the night before, so it didn't bother me that TT jumped right in at the point Gandalf fell into the pits of Morea.

Darren, according to an interview I saw with Peter Jackson (director), he made a conscious choice not to do a summary of the story. BTW, did you get the DVD of Fellowship for Christmas? It's chock full of extras. If you were REALLY lucky, you might have gotten the special version? It has a much longer version of the movie that includes scenes explaining the individuals of the fellowship more clearly.

I also thought Gollum was extremely well done - very effective how they managed to show the struggle between his inner good and evil selves.

I'm ready to see it again!

Yes, I got the extended version :) I must site down and watch it soon with all the extras, hopefully this weekend.

Ell wrote:
I was tempted to re-read the book first, but decided not to because I have a rather bad habit of nitpicking the differences between book and film.

Me too. We got the Fellowship DVD for Christmas too and watched it two or three times before we went to see TTT today. It was good. Excellent treatment of the battle and the chase. Although I am still unhappy with their portrayal of Aragorn I thought that overall it was excellent. Gollum was fantastic nearly exactly as he was written, to me anyway. I thought Rohan was well done--very Nordic. See? I'm trying not to but I'm still picking...

I'm picking up this book next since I just finished FotR, so maybe I'll have more thoughts later. But I kind of enjoyed this movie more than the first one. Not sure why. The Ent battle was fabulous and yes, Gollum was one of the best CGs I've ever seen. I really liked the casting of Faramir - I don't know who that guy was, but they really got someone who looked like Boromir. As soon as I saw him, I thought, "That guy could be Boromir's brother."

Originally posted by Hollis
I really liked the casting of Faramir - I don't know who that guy was...
David Wenham

Gríma Wormtongue was just how I imagined him - a real snake in the grass.

Looking forward to the final installment...

Back