• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lost: Season 6

April 13: Everybody Loves Hugo

April 13: Everybody Loves Hugo Recap

In the preview for this episode, I was not only excited about a Hurley-centric episode, but I was also excited about seeing Michael, (I just want to see everyone from season one, you know? I'm a sucker for reunions). However, his presence was pretty underwhelming.

Man, the actress that plays Libby looks like hell. She looks much nicer when the camera isn't so zoomed in. She does look pretty good for 42 though.

I mostly liked all the Des parts of this episode. Yay for being a flash-sideways constant.
My mother just got back into Lost this year, she owns all the DVDs. Whenever I go home to visit her, we have these Lost marathons. And at night, I can't NOT dream about Lost. ;) It just plagues my mind.

Just finished the Season 1 DVD's tonight. Season 2 all stacked up ready to go. So far, no marathons; just two episodes an evening when we watch. Happy as clams here. :)

I throught the episode was pretty good.
I really like how Hurley is getting more assertive and becoming far more central to the plot than he was back in season 1. It makes me think that perhaps he really will become Jacob's replacement. Hurley blowing up the Black Rock was great. (Wild Tangent, do you think that maybe both Sun and Jin will be the new Jacob, because maybe this means they have to both die and go back in time, or something [it's Lost, come on] and then they are the Adam and Eve skeletons??)

But I didn't really like the death of Ilana. What was the point of her? I think the whole reason she was in the show at all was so Ben could remark that he is anxious about what will happen once the Island is through with him. Meh. Ilana's character could have been given less of a back story and screen presence if that was all she was going to achieve.

Desmond down the well in normal time line probably survived and is going to start turning the wheel.
HOW WILL THIS HELP ANYONE, DESMOND?!?!

Also, alternate reality Locke lying on the road, all bloodied, looked a lot like he did after he was thrown out of the window in the normal reality. Also how he looked immediately after the crash of 815.
CONNECTION?!?!?! Probably.
Why the heck did Desmond do that?

I agree that Michael's presence was sort of underwhelming. It's like they wanted to create drama by having Hurley deal with the fact that he is having to commune with they guy who killed Libby. But then, like, Micheal was only in the episode for 30 seconds so it never really got off the ground. Also the whispers are DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!

Also I hope everyone noticed that the book Hurley found, the one with the Russian title, was Notes From Underground by Dostoevsky. Yet another addition to the Lost book club reading list (that I've already read).

Anyway, getting this excited over Lost is probably embarrassing. End of post.

So, anyone think that Walt will show up in any of the remaining episodes? He was supposed to have special abilities; maybe the writers will remember him.

-----

I noticed that The Wondrous Boat Ride from Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory has played in at least a couple of Lost commercials.

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of hell a-glowing?
Is the grisly reaper mowing?
Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing!

:lol:

Walt - Spoilers

So, anyone think that Walt will show up in any of the remaining episodes? He was supposed to have special abilities; maybe the writers will remember him.
LOL! Yeah.
You know, it seems like they changed their mind about him. We think there's a polar bear on the island because Walt was reading that Spanish comic that had a polar bear in it. But later, when the three (Jack, Kate, Sawyer) are captured, we learn that The Others/DI where experimenting on bears. So it was just a DI bear on the loose and not Walt. I guess... Maybe the Walt thing came to a close when Locke visited him in the city.

I think that they could probably get away with not discussing Walt any more. It seems that in the Lost world psychics are real. Miles, the guy who made Claire catch Oceanic 815, the faith healer who spoke to Rose (maybe same guy??), these people are all clearly psychic. Maybe Walt is just one of them. That's why the Others were interested in him.

I think he did summon to him a pre-existing polar bear to him, after reading the comic.

He won't be back in the alternate reality, because in the alternate reality it is still 2004 and the actor is way too old. He might turn up in the normal reality, but I doubt it. The story doesn't need him anymore, I think. But, you know, Lost never shies away from being bloated and weird, so maybe he'll come back.

I think that jumping off that boat was the first not-irritating thing that Jack has done all season. He's the only one of the original 815 survivors who has the right idea about the island, and this makes me almost certain that he's going to be the new Jacob.

Also, I think the knowledge that Sayid has been promised Nadia by the smoke monster should make us reinterpret his actions for much of this season. It makes me think that this whole "if the smoke monster speaks to you you're his servant" idea is basically nonsense. Sayid was grudgingly following the smoke monster's orders, for Nadia's sake. And Claire is just crazy form being left alone with him for 3 years. It's pretty obvious that Sayid did not kill Desmond. (If Sayid did who would act as a bridge between the two realities? Desmond is far too valuable to both realities.)

All this makes me think the dramatic twist at the end of the episode, the implication that Jack is now with the smoke monster (under his spell or whatever), is not as bad as they made out. Maybe at the end Jack will betray the smoke monster somehow and start doing whatever the hell it was that Jacob did.

Also, I just didn't feel Sun and Jin's reunion. On top of everything else wrong with that scene, why were the first words Sun and Jin said to each other in English? It was dumb. I thought it was more emotionally affecting when Jack told Sawyer that he was sorry he got Juliet killed.

Though I did think it was kind of cool when alternate Sun was freaking out when she saw alternate Locke. Maybe alternate Locke will wake up as the smoke monster. That would be good.

You know, at this point I just want the whole thing to be over already. I hope they'll be able to wrap things up nicely but with only 5 episodes to go, I'm bracing myself for a huge disappointment.

I'm hoping for a big kick boxing showdown. The guns and bullets have been way overused.

They also need to show the smoke monster/Jacob/island back stories. Let's see how/if that gets worked into the last episodes.

As for the storylines,
maybe the characters will get to decide which life they would rather have. The island or alternate life.

Christheblogger said:
Also, I just didn't feel
Sun and Jin's reunion. ...why were the first words Sun and Jin said to each other in English? It was dumb.
Well, Jin was with the DHARMA for three years and didn't speak Korean to anyone on the island. I imagine Sun stopped speaking Korean when she becomes estranged from her father and she lives in the USA. Then she get bumped in the head and is around English speakers.

Well, Jin was with the DHARMA for three years and didn't speak Korean to anyone on the island. I imagine Sun stopped speaking Korean when she becomes estranged from her father and she lives in the USA. Then she get bumped in the head and is around English speakers.

Yeah, fair enough, but I still think there were other things wrong with that scene.

Going without Lost this week is sort of good. Think of it as training for going without Lost, forever.

Cuatro de Mayo recap

Lost-Crimson-Tide.jpg

:sigh: That was quite an episode. Jin & Sun's scene got me all teary-eyed, but I kept thinking, "What about their baby?! Jin can go back and raise his baby!" Oh well. I guess that would've been less romantic.

Did Frank die?

What's the deal with Claire's music box?
This was a pretty good episode! :star4:.5

It was a good episode but I'm not feeling a lot of love for the writers.
I wish they'd gotten rid of Kate instead.

Libra6Poe said:
Did Frank die?

What's the deal with
Claire's music box?
I think so, he got smacked down by a thick steel door.

The tune of the music box is the same that Claire's father sang to her when she was a baby and that she sang to herself when was inside the hole at the temple.

Ooh! Nice catch! Thanks!

@ NotTheDoctor
I'm pretty tired of her character too.
She hasn't had a lot of action this season.

What do y'all think about the finale being extended by 30 min? Ready to sit down for 2.5 hrs?

I think so, he got smacked down by a thick steel door.

The tune of the music box is the same that Claire's father sang to her when she was a baby and that she sang to herself when was inside the hole at the temple.

I got teary too. Poor Sun and Jin.

Also Sayid but whatever, he's been a bad guy for a lot of this season. And maybe Frank, too. But he'll probably float back to the island like Jin always used to in the olden days.

Also, the new Jacob is almost certainly Jack.

What do y'all think about the finale being extended by 30 min? Ready to sit down for 2.5 hrs?

I won't mind that at all and the longer the better. I used to be a fan of the final final episodes of series, when in many cases the writers had free rein and anything screwy, or at least unusual, might happen. But this year I'll enjoy that episode via DVD, all 2.5 hours in one big gulp. And dead the next morning.

What did people think about the most recent episode? I liked it, but the internet seems to disagree with me. I thought the acting was perhaps not the best that's ever been in Lost, but I liked the story and most of the explanations it offered were reasonably satisfying.

It was probably the most revelatory episode of Lost, basically ever.
It answered where Jacob and the smoke monster came from, it showed us the origin of the Adam and Eve skeletons and it explained the origin of the donkey wheel and the wells. It also gave us hints as to what makes the island special, though, in typical Lost fashion, it left everything frustratingly vague. What the HELL is the light in that cave?

My ideas:
- The light is something to do with God or the devil or some Judeo-Christian-ish thing or other. That would make sense because Jacob has heretofore been presented as some sort of heavenly being, and the smoke monster as a demon.

-Some advanced technology from the future. This is a sufficiently ethereal deus ex machina to explain all the weirdness/specialness of the island, and the time travel that happened in seasons 4 and 5 is foreshadowing enough for me to not feel betrayed if this is the answer.

I thought "Across the Sea" was an excellent episode. I also don't think it answered very much at all in regards to the plot. But Lost has never really been a show about giving concrete answers, and I think that anyone that expects to get them is going to be disappointed. Lost is about Themes, and that is what I pay close attention to. This last episode was dripping with metaphor, and I doubt I even understood half of it. I did, however, understand this:

The light is exactly what Jacob's mother said it is. "Life, death, and rebirth." In other words, "the source" What does that mean? What is the source? That is up for you and me to decide for ourselves. There is no easy or concrete answer. Such is life.
Another compelling theme is to be found in the discovery that Jacob and MIB are twins. Two sides of the same coin? Hmmm. Jacob has never seemed to be a perfect Christ-like figure to me, nor has the MIB seemed to be pure evil. And I think this episode proved me right in regards to both characters.

I thought it was the longest and most boring episode of Lost ever.
At this point I don't really care about how it all started, I just want to know how it all ends. I though it was clumsy and badly acted, and it looked like a cheap, made for TV sci-fi movie. And we still don't know where Jacob and MIB came from, unless I missed the part where their real mother tells CJ Cregg where her ship came from...
I don't care about getting all the answers, I have never wanted or expected the writers to explain everything, I think most TV shows and movies suffer from "explanation overkill", so I'm perfectly OK with not getting all the answers but it's really annoying when the few answers we get are handled with so little elegance.

Back