• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

LOTR differences between book and movie

stigmaticman

what differences have you found between the movies and the books?

I only just started the first part of the book and have found a handfull of differences
like:

1. in the movie Merry and Pippen steal and set off the dragon firework
in the book Gandolf sets it off

2. when Bilbo drops the ring.
in the book he drops the envelope with the ring in it

3. in the book Frodo lives in the Shire for almost 20 years with the ring before he leaves, the movie makes it look like hours or days

well, one thing i was glad for was that they did away with tom *^*^(&*(& bombadil! i would have hated seeing that on screen, as i cringed reading it!

Tom Bombadil and the scouring the Shire are two parts that I'm glad were left out. But I was at a Tolkien discussion at my library a few days ago and someone brought up the fact that in the book (The Two Towers) there is a part where Frodo says to Gollum that if he (Frodo) put on the ring, then he could command Gollum to do anything, even jump into the Fires and Gollum would have to do it because the Ring mastered him long ago. I thought that she had a good point, seeing as it was a pretty important part in the book, a type of forshadowing. I suppose they couldn't fit everything in though.

yes, i also hated the scouring of the shire part and would have hated to see that on screen. well, hate is a harsh word. i hated tom bombadil, but i struggled reading through the scouring part, because it was like coming to this awesome climax into just blah, kwim?

I found that the blending of characters or the omission of others was wise e.g. having Arwen come to find Frodo and take him to Rivendell instead of Glorfindel (? is that his name?) to give her a bigger physical role in the movie.

I didn't mind the Tom Bombadil section (despite the fact that he may be the most long-winded charcter in history). I particularly liked the Barrow-wight scene, but I can see why it was left out.

Also, certain characters' actions and reactions were changed i.e. Faramir experiences little temptation regarding the ring in the novels, but on screen...fizzle.

I'm assuming here that we're talking about the extended editions, I haven't even seen the theatrical versions since the cinema!

Can't really remember, been a long time since i read it but i know there were many in 'The Two Towers'. I agree it was a fantastic trio of movies. One of the very best of this generation.

I found that the blending of characters or the omission of others was wise e.g. having Arwen come to find Frodo and take him to Rivendell instead of Glorfindel (? is that his name?) to give her a bigger physical role in the movie.

Actually, the thing I would have FAR preferred would have been for Haldir to rescue Frodo instead of Arwen or Glorfindel. Why? Because the first time I saw the Two Towers, in which
Haldir dies at the Battle of Helm's Deep
I didn't even know who he was... I didn't remember him from the very brief introduction he'd been given in Fellowship of the Ring, and I felt he could've been hazarded more introduction
at least if they intended on killing him off

i hated the way they changed faramir. tolkien purposely wanted that huge difference between boromir and faramir...and when they changed him like that in the movie well...in the beginning he kinda looked like a jerk. also when frodo told sam to go home. AH! i was like, SO ready to strangle him lol...frodo was never like that at all in the book and when he did that to poor sam i just about died. :p

Its Their View

The main difference between a book and a movie is the view that the author and the director tries to say.from book its only in pages and in a movie its through screens.mainly the book inspired directors tries to make that kind of movie.it can fail if his visionary does not match with the audiences.many movies have failed to succeed in box office and many did success.so its the matter of visionary in pages and frames..

Back