• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

LOTR V/S Harry Potter

Harry Potter does not even come close to The Lord Of The Rings. In my opinion the LOTR series is better written, has more interesting characters and is an all round better read than Harry Potter.

Lord of the rings scares me. It's like star wars and star treck, people dress up and treat it like a religious book, and they love the movies. I've tried to read the book, but I couldn't get into it at all, and didnt get past the first chapter, it seemed just like all other books of that type, which I've never really liked.

I did see the first movie, and I never went back to see the other ones. The whole idea doesn't do much for me.

Harry Potter, I used to like, since I was only 10-11 when it first came out, I think that's understandable, but I can't say I still hold the same fondness for it. The movies are horrible, I've seen parts of all of then on DVD. They were just... sad.

All in all, I think LOTR is completely unlikable, and movie hysteria. HP on the other hand is driven by big money promotion, but at least it gets the kids to read.

xyakks said:
Lord of the rings scares me. It's like star wars and star treck, people dress up and treat it like a religious book, and they love the movies. I've tried to read the book, but I couldn't get into it at all, and didnt get past the first chapter, it seemed just like all other books of that type, which I've never really liked.

I did see the first movie, and I never went back to see the other ones. The whole idea doesn't do much for me.

Harry Potter, I used to like, since I was only 10-11 when it first came out, I think that's understandable, but I can't say I still hold the same fondness for it. The movies are horrible, I've seen parts of all of then on DVD. They were just... sad.

All in all, I think LOTR is completely unlikable, and movie hysteria. HP on the other hand is driven by big money promotion, but at least it gets the kids to read.

Have you tried to read "The Hobbit"? You should look into that one before you start LOTR if you haven't already. Check at your local library so as not to spend any money on it, but you should give it a go if you can. I loved "The Hobbit" as did my oldest daughter. She could not get through LOTR either.

xyakks - what genres do you prefer? Have you tried other fantasy books? I didn't really go for LOTR either, and although it was read to me as a child, I could never get through it until I was in my twenties. Even then, it was a little hard at times. By the end of the second book it got exciting, though. I prefer more modern fantasy books, I must say.

sirmyk said:
I still don't see how anyone can compare the two. Apples and oranges.
That is a nice way of saying it. When I said LOTR was in a completely different class that's kind of what I meant. I realize now that it didn't really come across that way. Oh well, there's lots of stuff in this thread I wish I didn't write but it's too late now. :rolleyes:

Worm said:
Hey one thing, should anyone read the book after watching the movies?
Are you asking whether you should read the books or watch the movie first? Or are you saying you've already watched the movies and were wondering about the books?
If the first, then I would definitely say read the books and then watch the movies. To me it's always preferable to create the world and characters in your minds eye while reading rather than your first impression being from the movie. However, if you've already seen the movies and you're wondering if you should still read the books I'd say absoutely! Both HP and LOTR have whole storylines and characters and sub-plots that weren't addressed in the movies. You have hours of reading pleasure ahead of you:)

I vote for Harry Potter if I have to compare the two. Not being a fan of sci fi, I am kind of biased though. I think both will last for a very long time into the future though.

sugarz said:
I vote for Harry Potter if I have to compare the two. Not being a fan of sci fi, I am kind of biased though.
They are actually fantasy as oppose to sci-fi :)

Back