• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Louder Than War - a free action novel

Louder Than War is a free action novel that expands the Loud Evolution universe. The story is set in Uganda over one day, where Thomas Loud is in one of his numerous gene collecting adventures.
There will be fighting. There will be shooting. There will be questions that may change your outlook on life forever! They could but probably won't...

Those who have read Loud Evolution will have more background knowledge about the characters and things they do, but Louder Than War can be read, and understood, without knowing anything regarding my previous work.

Louder Than War is available on Amazon Kindle & Apple iBookstore.

I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I have enjoyed writing it. If you do find it a good read, a review on the digital distribution of your choice would mean the world to me. Until then take a look at this nice piece of ebook trailer:

MOD EDIT TO REMOVE LINK.

Last edited:
I read this last night in preparation for your Q & A. On the whole the action was well written although I could have done without the profanity. This was also not much more than a short story, not even a novella length. I'm all for self-confident advertising, but lets call a thing what it is to avoid outright not-quite-truths.

There were also a few language errors in terms of English that just didn't feel natural. Again on the whole I was pleasantly surprised by level of English as I was expecting it to be worse (sorry experience isn't always the best predictor of things).

I liked the way the action was written as that is hard to get right, and if I ignored the feeling of 'well what was the point' when I got to the end, I enjoyed reading the action scenes. I also felt it took far too long to get going - in this regard the entire 'book' felt like the first chapter to a book, rather than a story within itself. There was a touch too much explanation in the beginning without ever explaining the one fundamental point, on which the entire story hinges, why were they collecting DNA? The story ends with them finding and collecting their sample but I was left thinking - so what? I have no idea why they were, or why it was so important. If you intend the book to be a stand-alone you have to explain why they are doing what they are doing.

Good luck with your book. I'm off to read your interview now

And now I'll wait for you to answer the questions :)

Thanks for the comments, they are always welcomed.

Hm, profanity is there because the main character is quite a frustrated guy. And I never understood how many action movies/books/something else allow for incredible amount of (graphic) violence, but not swearing. So I said, let the profanities roll (OK, it's not that bad, there are some swear words here and there).

Novel, novella, and length - in Croatia we often bunch all that together so that could be characterized as something lost in translation. But since it's on Kindle, and Kindle has a number of pages display in the info box, and is free, I hoped people wouldn't mind.

No need for apologies about language expectations - we all learn from past experiences, so if you got burned, of course you would be a tad careful.

Gene collecting was never explained because I left that in the first book; I wanted it to work as a hook for people who would like to know just about everything (for others it could just be a point of suspension of disbelief).
There was a problem how to slip that in; two characters, who are "carrying" the story, already know all about it and I never wanted to recycle much. But I did want to lay a new ground work for everything that has happened in Uganda, so the readers would know what kind of place was that and why was it so dangerous.
My niece and her husband work for ICRC - for the last 20 years they were stationed in Africa (every two years they are in new troubled country) so I've heard a lot about things happening there. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to paint Uganda the way it is, and problems it has.

Oh, and yeah, I posted my replies in the Q&A :)

Gene collecting was never explained because I left that in the first book; I wanted it to work as a hook for people who would like to know just about everything (for others it could just be a point of suspension of disbelief).

Yes but then it doesn't work as a stand alone novel. Sorry.

Of course it works - gene collecting is just a "mechanic" that drives the plot. That is like saying that first two books of Lord of the Rings don't work because Frodo didn't destroy the ring until the end of third.

Gene collecting has its ultimate purpose, but it is nowhere in sight. In Loud Evolution they also collect genes but don't do anything with them expect store them in a safe place.

The problem is with your expectations what a book has to be - you rely on things you've read, and in sense, that is your problem.

I wanted to write a book that mimics life - you have many things in life that push you forward and don't have immediate payoff. Some big themes in my book are like that.

I think we're getting into "what did the author try to say", and since I wrote it, and I had specific idea that I wanted to employ; only I can answer that for sure. As I've said, all things that I write have a plan that I stick to; that goes for the things I write as a journalist, and fictional things I write on the side - you might not like it, but that is the way it is. Your expectations are, in this case, your problem.

Back