• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Lucifer's Hammer

ClaireUK

I was given this book 6 days ago and in my opinion its one of the best books i've ever read.

This book is about an amateur astronomer who discovers a meteor heading towards earth. Officials said the odds of it hitting earth were a million to one.... then a thousand to one... then one hundred to one... then Boom!

The book covers the few months before the impact, the impact itself and the first year after the impact. People stockpile food, and maladjusted criminals act out in hope of the coming doom. The Hammer, a derivation of Tim's last name, does strike and millions die from the resulting tidal waves, floods, and volcanic activity. Bereft of all of society's consumables, they must fight against the coming winter and the more horrible aspects of human nature for even a chance at survival...

Strongly recommended.

Wish fulfillment ...

When that book first came out, a friend of mine loved it so much, he wanted it to really happen!

Niven and Pournelle are a great team, although their first few books are their best, but that's not enough: they are classics!

The Mote in God's Eye -- Star Trek as it should have been envisioned. The Captain stays onboard and sends ensigns to do the dirty work. Great first encounter story with a strong sense of suspense ala The Andromeda Strain.

Lucifer's Hammer -- The big disaster story. You can almost imagine the Irwin Allen adaptation, but that's insulting to the quality of the wide cast of characters.

My favorite is The Legacy of Hierot a gripping colony story with a touch of "Aliens" to it. Very interesting to note that it came out before Jurassic Park with its twist on frog DNA -- if true, Crichton "borrowed" from the best. Very scarey and doesn't fall apart like JP does.

O

Back