• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Luke Rhinehart: The Dice Man

nnicc

by luke rhinehart,pub 1971

i just finished it a few days ago
i became aware of it thru an argument in a movie forum re: 'no country for old men',the novel, being derivative of a 1997 film 'american perfekt',in which the bad guy uses a coin toss to determine his actions( along with a few other similarities)

while researching online for 'coin toss' in film or literature someone mentioned this book to me and i tracked it down thru interlibrary loan

now,most folks who know me consider me to be stern or perhaps dour,since i rarely laugh,even when i find humor,which i often do

this book had me laughing out loud repeatedly

set in 1968 it's the story of a manhattan psychiatrist who finds himself bored with life,and one evening after a social scene playing a game that use dice,he finds one on the floor,covered by a playing card

he decides that he will let fate dictate what he does next at that moment,and makes a list of six wildly diverse actions,from the most ordinary to the absolutely bizarre,and determines to do it no matter what.....
....and it just goes on from there,as he eventually decides everything he does by the roll of the die

highly recommended by me

Back