• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Manga question

I was wondering about Manga...

I love comics. My favorite is Asterix :D . Basically nothing compares to it. Great quality, very funny, you can't stop reading it.

Well, I decided to try Manga. I love those manga-faces that one sees all over in illustrations. But then when I decided to buy one- they were all black-and-white! But why??? Of cause it is cheaper. But I love my pictures in color! I always have Asterix in my mind when I open a comics-book (or manga-book). And suddenly - the pictures look soo dull!

Is there any color-manga ? Or is that considered to be "not-cool"? In this case I will stick to my beloved french-belgian comics!

Sometimes manga pages are colored, and as far as I know, it's only a few pages that are if at all. Those pretty colored images that you see everywhere are usually found in artbooks.

Ani-manga are fully colored though, but it's just like seeing the anime on paper so I see little point in purchasing those volumes. The anime leaves out the best stuff.

Well the answer has already been given but I find it surprising this is your biggest complaint usually people new to manga are most surprised by the way in which you read them, which is the opposite of how things are done normally here in the states. I love manga and don't mind the lack of color the art can still be quite good in black/white

i know what you mean

It is slightly disappointing when I open up a manga and it's all black and white. It just makes things more exciting. *sigh*

Asterix is one of my fave's too. :D
Yes, it's a shame that manga is black-and-white. But because they produce it so much more in Japan, it has to be. They read it there like we newspapers here. Or better, like those free newspapers that we have in railway stations. I think it's just adopted from there that "It's manga, it has to be black-and-white!" So sad. When I was a little girl, I colored all my comics but then I grew up and there was no colors in the world anymore. :(

Being accustomed to color pictures in American comics, I also at first found manga to be bland. The stories are what really drew me in; once I read my first one I couldn't wait to head back to the store to get the next volume.

The reason is because in Japan, manga is very popular, cheap, and common entertianment. To reduce costs they mass-produce it in B&W, magazines are purchased for the equivalent of a couple of bucks, and then half the time the magazines get left on the train or tossed in the trash.

Back