• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood: Cat's Eye

Mike

As a confirmed Atwood fan I looked forward to this my fourth outing with her writing. I love Atwood's style and wasn't disappointed on that score, short paragraphs sharp dialogue and those Canadian settings. She takes the reader on a journey back to childhood - everyone knows how unintentionally cruel children can be, or even intentionally but Atwood hones this to a perfection in this narrative. The awkwardness of childhood, the need to fit in , the need to be liked familiar to all to some degree or other. Even to those who profess to have had a marvellous childhood full of friends and laughter, dark secrets can linger ready to come to the fore in adulthood. We are as adults just a by-product of our childhood are we not? We are according to Atwood. I doubt anyone could read this and not feel for the main character Elaine as she struggles as a little girl to understand the world around her and the other children that inhabit her world. We are shown the immediate post war period in Toronto with the new city growing from the drab suburbs, the girl grows up in the fifties with its styles and radio programmes then matures in the hippy sixties. The narrative leap frogs back and forth from the present day to the fifties and sixties in Toronto as the main character as a mature woman re lives her childhood. Gripping psychologically from the start it is both heartrending and chilling at the same time. The desperation of the small girls to fit in is very real and the surroundings and vivid descriptive passages make for sometimes disturbing reading though this may be truly dependant on the readers own childhood memories.

The narrative appears to depend on the idea that ones total adult experience is fully dependant on how your childhood affected you. Whilst the superb childhood reminisces work well here with real heartfelt ideas as seen through the eyes of a child the narrative does tend to come apart in a sense as the main character matures into adulthood. As a young woman the characters problems appear to be more a by-product of the age she lives in rather than what happened to her in childhood. Struggling young artists in 60's Toronto don't sound too interesting and despite Atwood's best efforts the narrative appears to lose focus. The first half of the novel fairly flies by with the adult/childhood narrative linked together but as we move toward maturity the character of Elaine becomes less plausible and there are liberal helpings of Atwood's feminist politics from some of her earlier works. Though this is skilfully handled by Atwood's brilliant writing style the plot is sometimes overshadowed by the very style that attempts to carry the story along. The delicate balance of plot and style swings away from the equilibrium at the beginning of the book too far in the direction of style toward the end. Strange plot lines wrapping up the story of her family appear "tagged on" to the plot as a whole and make no apparent contribution to overall storyline. I did wonder whilst reading it whether there was an aspect of autobiography to the earlier part of the story which could explain the razor sharp dialogue and descriptive passages, though I'm no expert on Atwood's life, it could explain why the story isn't as good toward the end. All in all a good read, in parts truly outstanding and thought provoking. A little disappointing at the end but as a whole well worth the time as all Atwood's novels do tend to set before the reader ideas and plots that challenge rather than sooth and this is no exception.

Wow... I read this book years ago and though I thought I had forgotten it, your review brings it vividly back to mind. I share your feelings about the manner in which the book seems to disintegrate towards the end. In fact I was so disgusted with her failure to fulfil its initial promise that I haven't read any Atwood since. I was a big fan before. Have you read any of her more recent works?

buddi

I've read The Blind Assassin which though convoluted was extremely well written and entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed Alias Grace and I thought Handmaids Tale was very striking. As I said its Atwoods style that carries her books along though Cats Eye does tend to let style get over content towrd the end - what was all that about the hijacking??.

I haven't read this one by Attwood. It sounds quite interesting. I have been reading Oryx and Crake, which I can't say I'm enjoying. Have you read it? I would be interested to hear your opinion on it. I will however check out the one you have recommended.

I haven't yet got hold of a copy of Oryx & Crake - I get all my books from Charity Shops as I'm mean!!. I want eventually to read all Atwoods books but I'll have to find them first.

MILD SPOILERSI'm kinda new to this site and this thread is several months old but I was compelled to respond as I am huge Atwood fan (Oryx and Crake is extraordinary):
I enjoyed Mike's review of the book. I am on the last pages of Cat's Eye and have been haunted by every word. I had similar experiences in childhood, too.
I disagree about the novel losing focus in the later parts. Atwood has woven the telling of Elaine's life to show clearly, to me, the consequences of her childhood experiences.
Mike said:
what was all that about the hijacking??.
I understood the hijacking to illustrate why Elaine never seemed to seek out justice for the mistreatment she received. Elaine seemed to hold malice only for Mrs. Smeath (all the paintings of her) but she never felt it necessary to have an "eye for and eye" or seek justice. The hijackers do show these behaviors and it shows the horror and uselessness of such actions. Plus the senseless loss that ensues (Stephen's death).
While I haven't finish reading I must comment on one more thing--I find it heartbreaking that Cordelia was obviously abused by her father and tormented by her sisters and Elaine doesn't seem to realize this as explanation for Cordelia's actions both at nine and in adolescence (and beyond). Elaine does, however, recognize that Mrs. Smeath colored how Elaine's friends saw her (heathenistic, unrefined, etc.). And thus their need to "help" her.

Wow, before reading this thread, I too, had forgotten much of Cat's Eye. It being the first ever Atwood I read, I didn't really get into it too well and so maybe a reread is in order.

I realise this is an old thread, but it has a lot of promise.

I'm glad to have found this thread as I have just finished reading Cat's Eye for the first time, and it hasn't left me for days.

I agree that the narrative shifts in style as Elaine grows up - part of me feels that this is representative of how we feel about things as children and how we feel when we grow up a bit. The smallest things can feel like the end of the world when you're a child and the bullying Elaine undergoes is horrendous. Perspective is gained as a young adult/adult.

I hadn't considered the prospect of Cordelia being abused by her father - that's a reading of the text that completely alters my view of the character! I hated Cordelia initially because in her Atwood has accurately encompassed all the vile qualities of a school bully - I can also recognise Elaine's reactions to it, such as being "too ill" to go to school. I really wanted to know what happened to
Cordelia, but I feel that leaving this information out adds to the idea that Elaine is being 'haunted' by her. We don't know if she ever left the rest home and thus Elaine can never feel free of her.

Really enjoyed this book. There were similarities with Joan's childhood in Lady Oracle which is also a good read, and also covers the idea of childhood shaping us into adults.

I know this is an old thread, but I feel the need to bring it up again. I've just finished this book and thought it was really, really good. I know a lot of people consider Margaret Atwood's style to be bleak and depressing, but I consider it to be witty and real, and I'd definitely say that held true for this novel.

Her portrayal of the complex relationships and interactions that Elaine has with the girls that are her "friends" reminded me so much of childhood that I was really taken aback. The desperate longing to fit in, the cruelty of some toward others, the odd need to keep this stuff hidden from parents, the shifting loyalties, etc. really struck me with a sense of familiarity. Even her sense of previous years becoming fuzzy in her adolescent mind, so that 3 years later she barely remembered the emotional turmoil, seemed profound to me (though it seemed strange to me that she was describing this amnesia years later; it made me wonder what level of consciousness her adult narrative was supposed to be at. Was she was fully aware of telling the story of her childhood, or was the storytelling more passive, like a stream of consciousness as she reentered the city of her youth?).

I'd have to agree with what some others have said, though - I did feel that the story disintegrated toward the end. I was riveted for a long time, but it just lost its spark toward the end. I wasn't necessarily disappointed or put off of Atwood, but just felt that a great story lost steam. But then again, the story was really more about the childhood experiences than later, grown-up experiences, anyway. The goal was probably to tie up some loose ends and make solid resolutions, but I would have been happier if the editor had been more free with the red pen toward the end.

All the same, definitely a thumbs-up.

Back