• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Margaret Atwood: Oryx And Crake

Ell

Okay, I've had a chance to mull this over and I've read another discussion thread on this, but I'd like to hear other opinions.

What do you think Snowman does at the end?
Does he kill the people, does he go introduce himself, or something altogether different?

If he kills them, the Crakers are safe, at least for the time being. But he also loses the chance of other human contact. He'll also be continuing Crakes master plan - ie. kill everyone except Jimmy and the Crakers. On the other hand, he could try to become friends and together they might stand a better chance of survival against the wolvogs, pigoons, etc. However, they could turn around and kill him, leaving the Crakers defenseless.

I think he kills them.
What do you think?

He's in pain. He's demoralized. He's tired of the struggle, the conflict. His watch says zero hour--- symbolic. He turns the gun on himself.

I dunno if it's that simple.

I think he feels morally obligated to the Crakers and would worry about them being killed by others. Remember, he's always been the one to have doubts about what Crake and the other scientists were doing at RejoovEnesense. He had a conscience, whereas Crake was pretty much a socio/psychopath.

Maybe he kills them, then kills himself? Or it (killing himself) might be a moot point because
if the strangers don't have antibiotics with them, he'll die of his infected foot
anyway.

Snowman was certainly always aware of his moral obligations to the Crakers, and it added to his feelings of being overwhelmed. In the end, I think he just said "Screw it, I can't go on."

More ponderings . . .

I was thinking that Oryx (the adult one) was really 'made' by Crake in the image of the original young girl that Jimmy was so infatuated with. It would fit with Crake's abilities and a good way for him to keep tabs on and control over Jimmy.

If this were true, then Crake had a master plan from a very early age and found the young Jimmy to be his perfect pawn. How else to explain the genius, Crake, befriending Jimmy and keeping him close all through the years? Jimmy even admitted that he was no match for Crake intellectually and Crake didn't suffer fools gladly.

Poor Snowman. I think he was Crake's pawn all along.

Do you believe that Crake wanted Snowman to shoot him? You would think that he would want be around at the end to enjoy the results of his master plan. If he didn't, then why did he kill Oryx? Did he really care for her? (and then become mad with jelousy because of Snowman?)

I do think Crake wanted Snowman to shoot him. I think he killed Oryx in order to push Snowman into killing him and it was all part of his plan. I doubt Crake had any feelings for Oryx other than his need to have her help in manipulating Jimmy.

Yup, i agree with you Ell, i think that Crake used Oryx to manipulate Jimmy, and that it was probably his plan for many years.

Not sure about what happened at the end though, how i hate incomplete endings :mad: I figure that his overwhelming drive is to protect the Crakers, so he probably gunned them down to prevent any future threat, but i wouldnt be surprised if he topped himself afterwards ... i got the impression he was dying from the infection anyway.

Phil

I'm currently reading Oryx & Crake myself and it's really hard to stay away from the spoilers right now. I'm enjoying it so far, so I may be looking into Atwood some more after this.

lies said:
I'm currently reading Oryx & Crake myself and it's really hard to stay away from the spoilers right now. I'm enjoying it so far, so I may be looking into Atwood some more after this.

Atwood is someone many Canadians end up reading in HS. I seem to remember being told to read The Handmaids Tale but I don't remember doing so. I just recently finished Oryx and Crake and found it fantastic. Definitely going to read more Atwood, for sure this time. The Blind Assassin is probably the next book by her I'll read next. And lies, stay away from the spoilers cause there's a great twist at the end. :)

Thanks ions! I read The Handmaid's Tale when I was thirteen or something and I did like it, but I think maybe now I'll appreciate Atwood's writing in a different way.

lies said:
Thanks ions! I read The Handmaid's Tale when I was thirteen or something and I did like it, but I think maybe now I'll appreciate Atwood's writing in a different way.

You were reading Atwood at the age of thirteen? Heavenly days! You certainly were getting a jump on things.

That's why I'd like to get back to it, because I'd see things differently now I think.

And our library didn't have a young adult section, so by the time I'd read everything on the children's shelves, I had to make the leap. ;)

I think The Handmaids Tale was assigned around Grade 10. That's what 15?

Edit: This is such a great book! This is all the discussion about it?

ions said:
Edit: This is such a great book! This is all the discussion about it?
I thought there'd been more Atwood talk on this forum, but apparently not that much?

lies said:
I thought there'd been more Atwood talk on this forum, but apparently not that much?
It seems I'm one of the few Atwood fans on the forum. :(

I re-read Handmaid's Tale awhile ago and found that it holds up pretty well. I found Oryx and Crake a darker, more ominous work now. (I don't think I'll ever get over the vision of modified chickens running around with holes straight to their gullets!)

ell

ps. Hope you enjoy Iceland, lies.

Oryx and Crake has been one of the few books that have hung around in my mind for a while after I've read it. Thoughts on privacy, corporate power, environmental implications, the aforementioned genetic manipulation implications. The idea of principle over family has sat down in my brain to be contemplated as well. So much in that relatively short novel.

Did anyone else think of KFC with those 'chickens'?

Ell said:
I'm not sure you could call me a fan of her work, but I am intrigued by her writing, I have to admit. Do you perhaps have some more suggestions?

Ell said:
ps. Hope you enjoy Iceland, lies.
Thanks! I am thoroughly enjoying it, though it's a bit on the expensive side.

Atwood is one of those writers whose books I would positively buy sight unseen. I'd have to get out my copy of Oryx and Crake and read it again to discuss it intelligently here (a thing I would do if I weren't in the middle of two other books right now), but I'm following the discussion with great interest.

Atwood isn't a cheerful writer, but she's one who can never be ignored -- and she certainly does deserve a good rereading; she puts so much into the writing of her books.

Back