• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marilynne Robinson: Gilead

Gilead

I read this novel earlier this year. I thought it was a wonderful collection of memories. As a parent it touched me and inspired me to keep a running letter going for my daughter when she gets older.
The story itself was not action packed, but the style is beautiful. I am a fan of this book.

I started the book, determined to ignore the obvious delusional aspect of it and concentrate on the quality of the writing, as well as the way the fiction evolves. There is indeed a very interesting part related to the historical period – from the post-civil war era until the middle of the 20th century – in the particular region – Midwest US. Moreover, the story definitely gives the occasion of some serious thinking on several issues on the social and personal levels.

However, after the first 60-70 pages, I found this to be a very difficult enterprise. Not only I failed to see any wisdom in it, but John Ames's insistence to see divine intervention in every little thing that occurred to his and the other people's lives made the novel preposterous and - ultimately – boring. Behind the superficial humbleness, I saw pretentiousness; instead of measure and tenderness, I saw spiritual emptiness. At the end, I ended up feeling for John Ames what I wanted to avoid at any cost in the beginning: pity.

From what I can remember, I liked this book. The characters were real, and though the plot wasn't exactly gripping, it had a momentum that kept the reader going. But the best thing I like about Gilead is the fact you forget (or, at least, I did) that it's written by a female author - John Ames' voice is convincing.

It's my first book by Robinson. But I've since placed Housekeeping on my to read list.

I bought Home and it's sitting on my bookshelf. I'll be reading it when I finish The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. I was tempted to buy Gilead at the same time, but I decided to buy it later if I enjoy Home.

Back