• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marion Zimmer Bradley: The Mists of Avalon

I was at the library today contemplating on whether to read this or not. I got something else but apparently it's good, I dunno. We'll have to read hey ;) Anyway hi, I'm new:D

I enjoyed it. All of the other King Arthur books I've read are very focused on the knights and their exploits (the women are either evil sorceresses or helpless maidens), so it was refreshing to get a different point of view.

It's a King Arthur book? This I didn't know!

Hey Jessica! I like your avatar - Captain Jack Sparrow: we need more of these. 'Lalalala, and really bad eggs.' So you reckon you'll give this book a go? I'm still undecided...

soxfan said:
I enjoyed it. All of the other King Arthur books I've read are very focused on the knights and their exploits (the women are either evil sorceresses or helpless maidens), so it was refreshing to get a different point of view.

I'm reading a book by Vera Chapman and she includes King Arthur in her stories. I don't about the book though, kinda weird, I guess all fantasu is like that.

Ingrid, should try something different! I saw this book in the library, it's a best seller and has a sequel, I'll get round to it once I've finished with all the other reccomendations that I have :D

havent read the book but saw the tv movie, and really enjoy it, so i guess since usually the books are better than its movies, this book must be really good ;)

Propably the best retelling of the Arthurian saga I've read. Can drag at places, but overall very interesting and, more importantly, very good.

How many Arthurian books has MZB written now? I've got Mists of Avalon, and Lady of Avalon. Where do I go from there?

There's another one called 'The Forests of Avalon', but I'm not sure if that ties a trilogy together. There's also one called 'The History of Avalon' methinks - but I reckon that's a separate story.

I know there's definately another in that series, though - the Forest book.

Ingrid said:
There's another one called 'The Forests of Avalon', but I'm not sure if that ties a trilogy together. There's also one called 'The History of Avalon' methinks - but I reckon that's a separate story.

I know there's definately another in that series, though - the Forest book.

Chronologically (in terms of events, not when they were written), "Forests" comes first, then "Lady", then "Mists".

I read Mysts of Avalon about 14 years ago. It was one of the first fantasy books I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Mists of Avalon

I'm currently about 75% of the way through The Mists of Avalon. I LOVE IT!! I remember reading The Once and Future King in high school, and the angle that the author took on this book is so great. Has anyone read it? Did you like it? Have you read any other books by Marion Zimmer Bradley and were they as great as this one?

I did really like it and I've read The Firebrand (her book on Troy and mainly Kassandra) and loved it, too.

Bradley ( The Mists of Avalon ) has combined several legends about the fall of Troy in this novel, told from the point of view of Kassandra, daughter of King Priam. After receiving the gift of prophecy from the god Apollo and then rejecting him, she was cursed when he decreed that her vision would be taken as dreams or the ravings of a madwoman. Some basic knowledge of Greek mythology would be helpful to the reader in keeping the various gods and their relationships straight. She makes a strong statement about the desirability of women having control of their own destinies and about the cruelties men inflict upon them.

i loved this whole series!

Avalon
1. The Mists of Avalon (1979)
2. The Forest House (1993) (with Diana L Paxson)
3. Lady of Avalon (1997) (with Diana L Paxson)
4. Priestess of Avalon (2000) (with Diana L Paxson)
5. The Ancestors of Avalon (2004) (with Diana L Paxson)

both Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana L Paxson are among my favourite authors...

Ingrid said:
Is this book as good as it sounds?

Those who've read it, what did you think?

I was just about to post about this book! I just bought it at half price books for $3 and so far so good! I'm about 1/5 through. it is pretty long, but quick read so far. interesting.

i liked this book, but was a bit disappointed with her writing in the fourth (and last) part of the book. she didn't stay consistent and made many mistakes, which annoyed me, and i felt she suddenly felt she had to rush to wrap up the story and make sure that it ended the way the legend says it ends, so was trying to tie up loose strings, but the knots didn't fit. but i still liked it. it was engrossing and very different.

Back