• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mark Haddon: A Spot Of Bother

beer good

Well, since it's on topic with Darren's book giveaway (good initiative!), maybe we should have a thread for this book?

My personal opinion is that my impression of Haddon from The Curious Incident... is pretty much intact: ho-hum. Bother is a quick read for 375 pages, there's quite a few chuckles and even one or two pretty poignant things about love and aging (though it hammers the fear-of-your-body-decaying theme into the ground without ever coming close to the poignancy of, say, Philip Roth's Everyman). Problem is it's just so incredibly predictable.

Once we've gotten to know the rather flat characters (hypochondriac father, philandering mother, gay son and his lover, brash daughter and her fiancé whom everyone assumes is an asshole even though he never actually gives anyone any reason to think so) they just plod on like that, whining and being dysfunctional-lite for 300 pages until the end, which turns out exactly as you'd have guessed 30 pages in. The one scene that really stands out for me, though more for shock value than for anything else, is the one that the cover alludes to.

A better writer might have made those 300 pages between setup and resolution fascinating in themselves, but here it's mostly the distance we have to travel to get to the end - which is ironic for a novel about not letting fear of the ending stop you from enjoying life.

3/5, barely.

A better writer might have made those 300 pages between setup and resolution fascinating in themselves, but here it's mostly the distance we have to travel to get to the end - which is ironic for a novel about not letting fear of the ending stop you from enjoying life.

Absolutely, and actually the book was the first I've read in a long time that made me think, "Is there any point in me reading this?" in as much as most books you can take something from, from the themes and the messages. In this, there is nothing really. Nowhere near as good as Curious Incident of The Dog in the Night Time.

I agree 100% with both your comments. I was so excited after having read 'Curious Incident' and felt that this one really didn't live up to the same standard.
As mentioned, I did get through it quite quickly, it's certainly not difficult to read and it was amusing in places, and sad in places. I recall having very little sympathy for any of the characters, except maybe George as he descends into his 'spot of bother' madness.

Back