• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mark Mulholland: A Mad and Wonderful Thing

Just read the new novel A Mad and Wonderful Thing by Mark Mulholland in advance copy form (‘borrowed’ it from a friend!!)

I loved this book, but I think it will divide opinions. The novel’s great strength is its unique and compelling voice: the voice of the alluring IRA volunteer Johnny Donnelly.

I haven’t read an Irish novel told from this perspective before - a view on the troubles from south of the border - and the narrator, Johnny, pulls us through the history, mythology, and landscape of the country as he unfolds a tale of war and revenge; but ultimately a tale of love and redemption, and humanity.

Unlike many Irish novels that I have read, Angela’s Ashes, A Star Called Henry, etc... A Mad and Wonderful Thing doesn’t wallow perpetually in a bleak, damp, depressing, grey (and heard it all before) Ireland but somehow tells enough of that with humour and at the same time rises above it with patches of beauty. The writing at times is poetic, and philosophical. That can easily be overdone, but it isn’t here. The writer somehow finds the goldilocks mix of ingredients. The book, too, is populated with unique and unpredictable characters. Even the unreal (the dead) seem real.

The ending, too, I think, will divide opinions. But it is true to the book and to Johnny. A Mad and Wonderful Thing is an unusual read. I enjoyed it very much, and it will stay with me.

Back