• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Martial Arts Movies

Gem

kickbox
I have an embarrassing addiction to martial arts movies. I don't mean just the er celebrated Kung Fu ones, but also the really over the top cheesy American ones from the late 70s/80s (I'm thinking Best of the Best, No Retreat no Surrender etc). Yes they were rubbish, but gloriously rubbish - the music, the training montages, the wooden acting - made them all very watchable. I of course draw the line at Chuck Norris films.Honestly :eek: .

I watched American Shaolin last night, and it was hilarious in so many ways and worth a watch just to see Jin from Lost strutting his stuff.
The point of this thread? Any other fans out there? Anyone have any recommendations?

I *love* martial arts flicks. My staple diet usually includes the Hongkong flicks, either period pieces (stuff like The Swordsman II, Taichi Master, Bride with the White Hair, etc, etc) and modern action pieces (stuff like SPL, My Dad is a Hero, Supercop).

Recent movies I liked: Seven Swords, The Myth (whoa the chick in this movie is really, uhm, good-looking), Fearless and SPL.

Of the American ones, I also liked Best of the Best, but I personally find that for American martial arts flicks, the action scenes are slow. Not slow slow, but if you watch a lot of the Hongkong movies you'll know what I mean.

Hollywood is incresingly starting to enlist action choreographers from HK for this very reason - their close combat action scenes are the best in the world at present.

The problem with HK movies are the plots are normally very weak, and getting weaker by the year (and this not just for action movies too - almost everything by HK now is weak).

ds

I don't know what it stands for, but it's a Donnie Yen flick with Sammo Hung as the bad guy. Cops versus crooks flick, with a kick ass alley-fighting scene that I've replayed many times. :) Super suave Simon Yam is there also (the Asian bad guy in Tomb Raiders Cradle of Life)...

ds

Thanks DS, I hadn't heard of a couple of the titles you've mentioned, they've been duly noted.
The Myth? Jackie Chan right? Ah yes I know the er chick you mean ;) .

Flor, I like Jackie Chan too, he's just very lovable.

Remember The Big Boss (1971)- Bruce Lee's first movie?

Yes I remember The Big Boss. I only watched it a couple years back, but by then I had seen most of his other films, and in comparison this one paled a bit. Perhaps just because it was a slightly different (perhaps slower?) kind of movie. Lee was great though.
A Bruce Lee fan Aquablue? Which other of his movies have you liked? And why?

My dad loves Bruce Lee. The one with Chuck Norris was nice. But I thought the Big Boss was really cheesy (sorry! :)).

I loved the Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock... anyone remember those films?

ds

My dad loves Bruce Lee. The one with Chuck Norris was nice. But I thought the Big Boss was really cheesy (sorry! :)).

I loved the Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock... anyone remember those films?

ds

I remember Cynthia Rothrock - the China O'Brian movies - now those were also very cheesy! But a good laugh.

I vague remember China O'Brian... but she made more than a couple of kungfu fighting cop movies with Michelle Yeoh... very intense and very watchable... it was my first exposure to Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia... and it was a kick (sorry, bad pun) for me at that time to watch a white chick speaking in cantonese. :)

ds

Back