• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Martin Davies: The Unicorn Road

bookwordlover

I've just started reading The Unicorn Road by Martin Davies. If I'm honest, it was the beautiful cover art that initially attracted me, but as I've begun reading I've found the writing style to be beautiful also. Davies really paints a picture with his words with passages such as:
It had been a hard, yellow season - the grass scorched, the earth baked ochre, the sun huge and red and unrelenting; tempers were short and arguments flared as quickly as the fires that burned on the borders.

If you've finished reading this novel - what did you think?

Bookwordlover @ Booklover Book Reviews

THE UNICORN ROAD by Martin Davies

MY REVIEW : Beautiful from cover to composition. The cover art was what originally attracted me as it sat on my bookstore bargain shelf, but when I began reading I was pleasantly surprised to find the writing style inside the book just as artful. Davies sets the scene like a painter, telling this grand and sweeping tale of quest and adventure to foreign lands in language so beautiful and luxurious that the reader cannot help but to be enthralled and engrossed. The characters have compelling backstories that are uncovered slowly throughout the novel, revealing the admirable qualities of courage, honour and loyalty.

Although a work of fiction, actual historical events relating to the Silk Route and the Christian Crusades provide the framework for the plot. Despite the stories being set in different time periods, I found myself thinking of the movie Troy and its grandeur on more than one occasion. Although the story is an epic one, only parts are told in detail, leaving the book only 324 pages in length. The author manages to quickly wrap up all the loose ends to conclude the story, drawing on seeds of information cleverly planted along the journey (almost too perfectly). Despite the quick ending, I found the book a satisfying one that I'd recommend if for nothing else but the beauty and artfulness of the writing.

Booklover Book Reviews

Back