• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Matured Forum = Less Discussions?

Who says one person's idea on what makes great reading is more valid than someone or anyone else's?? If just ONE person who has never read a book in their lives picks up a Dan Brown because they have heard a lot about it, and reads it and enjoys it, hey they have found the wonderful world of books. Im not about to knock that, in fact I think its a fantastic thing. I hate all this elitist shite about pointing people in the right direction and imposing tastes on other people, what works for me will probably not work for someone else.
As far as us newbies ( and that word makes me sick) are concerned, yes its a great idea to search old threads to see what other people have been talking about, but if I contribute my 10 penneth to a Jane Austen thread, which I haven't yet, I dont expect it to be preserved for posterity, jeez its just a thread not the 10 commandments. And if its boring for the vets, sorry.
In fact I just searched the threads for classic literature and I've found one that I may well bump up.
AND, never having wanted to read DB, I now find that I'm gagging to read something by him, just to see what's inspiring all the vitriol here

Oh, and, to indulge in the habit raised by this thread, let me direct you, francesca, to this existing thread, which gets into the whole 'elitist shite' thing - or, as some of us prefer to think of it, the acknowledgement that some books are better than others.

Robert said:
Dan Brown was just an example and as far as Dan Brown. The point is that the forum isn't always conducive to discussion, unless of course it's "classic literature."

There are like 5-10 threads on Dan Brown and his book. When joining a forum its usual to do a few searches before posting new threads, especially on popular topics. When your new thread contains exactly the same arguments presented in 4 other threads you naturally dont get much (positive) response.

The threads on "classic" literature is in a minority on this forum. As shade mentioned the majority of book related posts are on authors on the bestseller list.

Back