• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

May 2011: Mitch Albom: The Five People You Meet In Heaven

For some reason I still thought we were on the Bill Byson book, which apparently everyone forgot about. Anyway, I'll give our current pick a whirl as soon as I finish one of the books I'm on now.

I will admit to tearing up a little whilst reading this. However, I hasten to add, that has more to do with me being an emotional pansy than the book actually being genuinely moving.
Overall, it was meh. War veteran cum maintenance man arrives in the afterlife and, with the help of five people he knew in life, learns how he mattered, how his life was important, how he affected the lives of others.
The writing was easy on the brain, but there was not a single sentence or turn of phrase that left a mark. I'm pretty certain that in a few more weeks I won't even recall who the five people were, it's just that bland. People who recommend this tend to use the word 'profound', don't believe it.
We see out of our lives, if we were to see into them we would gain a different perspective. That's stating the obvious, not profundity.

I have to agree with Eclair's comments.

This was Albom's first foray into fiction and I think he was trying for something inspirational that would be embraced by the masses - and hopefully Oprah! It did make me tear up in one part but that was overshadowed by the rest of the novel where I felt Albom was trying too hard.

I can imagine an occasional reader purchasing and enjoying the book but it was a little bit too contrived for the more seasoned bibliophile.

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed because, after reading some opinions in book blogs and the comments here, I though this book would make me shed a tear or two. It didn't.

I agree with eclair that it states the obvious. Not that I minded being reminded of it, but I was expecting more.
I also agree with eldog that the author was perhaps, trying too much. To me it felt like the whole book was written with the intent to move and make the reader shed some tears but it just didn't work with me. I prefer one well written moving scene, no matter how brief it is, to a whole story that just didn't move me at all.

I do agree Albom's philosophy wasn't ground-breaking or even deep. When reading the lessons my only thought "okay, makes sense". Still, I was intrigued by the story and where the protagonist was headed. So in that respect it was a success. I, like others in this thread, just don't see the book's profundity.

Back