• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mein Kampf, by Adolph Hitler, in school libraries?

Ou Be, you don't need to apologise to me. I'm not angry in the slightest. you might buy a decent dictionary though. Maybe even an English useage manual wouldn't be a bad idea. And read it before you presume to instruct people.

From what I've seen, you are not one given to pussy-footing around. And I like it that you're not. Forthright is good, and so is opinionated. Just don't get too upset when others are the same. And I don't think your opinions differ too much from mine anyway.

"Dictate," in the sense we've been using it means, in simple terms, "Lay down the law." You can't lay down the law except to someone. Dictionary definitions are meant to instruct, not be bent to accomodate your faulty understanding.

That's all very nice...but I have absolutely nothing against you being forthright with me. You simply didn't understand my post, so I corrected you. No harm done. Let's move on.

However, you do seem to contradict yourself quite a bit...in one sentence you are telling me to forget about dictionary definitions, then in the next you are giving me one of your own! If it's ironic, I like it.

As for the whole capitalism/power/Bin Laden shenanigans...the power commanded by capitalism is dictated to the world - you like?

When did I tell you to forget about dictionary definitions?

And I still have some trouble with "Dictates power." Would you say "I'm going to go and dictate power to that guy over there"? You'd sound a bit silly if you did. You might say you were going to exert power over him -- is that what you would mean?

kids

Censorship question are so cool. I wonder how many of you that have posted here have young children, or at least had them?

I don't see any harm in having most books available in a high school library. Some books I might think should need a parents permission before the student can access it.

Books that describe how to build homemade bombs is a prime example.
Yes, they can get it on the internet, but that doesn't mean a school needs to make it available to any kids who wishes to read it. I think it's a gray area. Something that may need to be addressed on a case by case basis.

If the high school does not have it, the parent can take the kid to a public library and get it for them.

I don't have a problem with libarians/schools censoring books for middle, and lower schools. Again, if it's fine with the parents, they can get the book from a public library.

Back