• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Memoirs of a Geisha

fairyprincess

i was on the line to cashier in the local bookstore when about three costumers were holding a novel, memoirs of geisha. i am tempted to buy one but i need any feedbacks first on the novel and the film. thanks!

I haven't read it, but the movie comes out here on Friday and if it's good enough to be made into a movie, I'm willing to bet that it's a pretty decent read.

I read it an ejoyed it. Plus it has very satisfying and rather surprising ending.
Peder

I almost bought the book with my gift certificate that I got to Barnes and Noble, but was unsure... So, fairyprincess, if you get it, let me know if it's any good! :)

Pho-tog said:
I almost bought the book with my gift certificate that I got to Barnes and Noble, but was unsure... So, fairyprincess, if you get it, let me know if it's any good! :)

i havent got one yet. but i will let you know, if did. by the way, do you have any ideas on what book i should get coz i am about to start a flower shop business. any book recommend? or site? i would really appreciate it!

I watched the film, and generally I thought the production was good, but the acting leaves much to be desired. I had earlier reservations about Michelle Yeoh playing a non-fighting character. She proved me wrong by actually holding her own, but she has no emotions. But if you've ever wondered how Malaysians speak English, then listen to Michelle. :D

Gong Li was by far the best actress in the whole film, IMHO.

For those who've read the book and seen the film - does the film end the same as the book?

ds

direstraits said:
For those who've read the book and seen the film - does the film end the same as the book?

Just saw the movie today so I can finally answer this question. :D It has been a while since I read the book, but I'll try my best to remember things.

I didn't feel very satisfied with the transition from book to movie. The sisters' journey from their home village was rushed, Nobu had two arms, and how did that Japanese girl grow into a Chinese woman??? I know things have to be missed out because it was almost 2 and a half hours as it was, but I always find it disapointing when sections are rushed.

I agree the acting wasn't as good as it could have been. I'm wondering whether or not it would have been better as a Japanese movie subtitled in English. Were they talking Japanese at the start? If so then why did they start talking in English once they had left the village? And then why did they add in the odd Japanese word such as "hai" and "konnichiwa"? Surely a girl from a poor fishing village in Japan in that time period hasn't been taught English from a young age along with Japanese... (Sorry for that ramble.)

As for the end of the movie, I don't feel there was any definite ending to it. We know the Chairman and Sayuri have finally revealed their feelings, but the movie doesn't tell us about their future life together (in America?). Without the ending that the book provides us, there is an ambiguity, a hole in the story, which someone who hasn't read the book misses out on. My boyfriend, who hasn't read the book, agrees the end just lacked something. Plus, I felt the ending was less of a surprise in the movie than the book because we kept seeing the Chairman looking at her.

On a positive note I enjoyed some of the smaller details that were included, such as the shoes (though the ones she wore on stage were a bit over the top :p ), and the shape of the make up on the back of their necks. I also quite enjoyed the music.

Thats all I have to say for now. :)

I want to put this on my to-be-read list and I'm waiting for the movie to come out on DVD so I can rent it. I hope it's good. My friend, Maddie, was reading it. She showed me and I read parts that caught my attention, so I decided to read it, but forgot. ^^

Havent read the book but the film was garbage in my opinion.

Im a guy it was excruciating for me to watch it til the ending. I feel like its definitely aimed at the female audience.

Dont get me wrong it was well made and visually captivating but it just didnt do it for me.

I think Tartan Skirt was very right about the movie being better if you have read the book. There were many lovely shots but much of the story was missing, if you had read the book you could fill those parts in but if not the movie probably felt very disjointed. Many of the intricate workings of their relationships to their house, fellow geisha, donnas, and others were missing. Overall I thought the scenery was lovely and the lack of emotion on the part of the actresses didn't bother me too much as I think it reflected the story and the geisha's positions. I would highly recommend reading the book prior to seeing the movie.

I was very disappointed with the movie. In the book, the main character has such a warmth and humor to her that is completely lacking in the movie.

I loved the film, the garden at the end was simply wonderful, it was worth watching just for that! I did however prefer the book, there was a lot more to offer and the descriptions were completely mesmerizing. I was disappointed with the beginning of the film though, a hell of a lot was missed out!

Back