• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

memories of places ive never been

marxlaws

sometimes, with some books for me the words literaly dont exist anymore and it is real. there are no quotation marks and punctuation just dialouge. when i think back on the events it is not on the words that were printed but the experiance of being there. oh man, if i could get that from every book. this has only happened twice to me. a short story about a girl on venus that got left in a closet on a day it stoped raining, silly i know. and the gardian of the flame series. i WAS there in GotF, i can remember walters antics and a cold night in the rain before a battle like it was christmas 2002 at my parents house. when i read it ,i catch myself sometimes doing some gesture like my eyebrow raising in indignation because of something said in the book, mimicing the character. does this ever happen to you? and if it does what book? or am i all alone in " marxlaws fantasy world".

marxlaws said:
a short story about a girl on venus that got left in a closet on a day it stoped raining

I love the story! Who wrote it? I've been looking for it, but I keep forgetting the author's name. That story makes me cry every time. :(

the story we are talking about is- All Summer in a Day. It's included in the collections "A Medicine for Melancholy" and "The Stories of Ray Bradbury". took some research but i found it. i had no idea it was rb :)

marxlaws said:
when i read it ,i catch myself sometimes doing some gesture like my eyebrow raising in indignation because of something said in the book, mimicing the character. does this ever happen to you? and if it does what book? or am i all alone in " marxlaws fantasy world".

You're definitive (was that the right spelling??) not alone in different worlds, but i never had a book where i was the whole time in the other world. mostly it is like i'm traveling there for a few chapters and then i get tossed back in the reality, but this chapter traveling happens pretty often, to be honest!! :)

marxlaws said:
sometimes, with some books for me the words literaly dont exist anymore and it is real. there are no quotation marks and punctuation just dialouge. when i think back on the events it is not on the words that were printed but the experiance of being there.
[snip]
does this ever happen to you? and if it does what book? or am i all alone in " marxlaws fantasy world".

Thats how I can tell I picked up a good book at the book store. If everything else goes away and its just me and the characters...you can almost smell the rain at Rivendell or feel the ground quake as Lazarus Long's ship lifts skyward. Its a great feeling. But yeah good books do that to you.

I don't know about that funky marxlaws fantasy world thing though...

I think it's how you empathize with the writing. Me, I could care less about immersing myself in the world -- I want to grow to like or dislike characters, find out more about them, understand their motivations, and understand their person.

Like Glen Cook's <u>The Black Company</u> -- the surroundings of the world are pretty mundane and common stereotype, but I've loved understanding how the protagonist thinks and why he reacts how he does.

Back