• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Memory failure! Series for very young readers from late 70s-80s, urban setting

ClaireinNZ

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, although an avid reader so I suspect I'll become a regular.

My current mystery is as follows:

I'm on the hunt for a series of books I read as a very small child. This series of picture books for very young readers was set in an urban environment, featuring quite 'cool' characters - I am 90% sure the series was American - and each story had a moral, like telling the truth, not stealing etc. The illustrations were cartoon-style, somewhat reminiscent of the Fat Albert TV show (as I recall).

The series was popular in primary school libraries in Australia in the early 80s (if not before). This was a series of books for very young children, probably to a reading age of 3rd Grade or so.

Important: the books themselves were landscape-oriented, probably about 12 inches across long by 6 inches high, a quarter-inch thick with various brightly coloured covers. They were generally displayed flat on shelves, rather than the usual fashion of upright, and spines out.

This has been plaguing me for years now - WHAT was this series called?

Any help would be most appreciated and soothe my psyche immeasurably!!

Kind regards

Claire

Back