• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mercedes Lackey: Elemental Masters series

Meadow337

Former Moderator
Elemental Masters is a fantasy series about an earth where magic exists and focuses on the Elemental Masters, people who have magical control over air, water, fire, or earth. Each elemental master has power over elementals, as well. Each book in the series is loosely based on a fairy tale

There are 8 books in this series:

The Fire Rose (1995, ISBN 0-671-87750-X) based on Beauty and the Beast
The Serpent's Shadow (2001, ISBN 0-7564-0061-9) based on Snow White
The Gates of Sleep (2002, ISBN 0-7564-0101-1) based on Sleeping Beauty
Phoenix And Ashes (2004, ISBN 0-7564-0272-7) based on Cinderella
The Wizard of London (October 2005, ISBN 0-7564-0174-7) based on The Snow Queen
Reserved for the Cat (October 2007,ISBN 978-0-7564-0362-1) based on Puss in Boots
Unnatural Issue (June 2011, ISBN 978-0756405755) based on Donkeyskin or similar tale
Home from the Sea (June 2012, ISBN 978-0756407278) based on East of the Sun and West of the Moon, Tam Lin, and The Great Silkie of Sule Skerry

Although there are recurring characters and themes running throughout the books which technically makes them a series, each book is a stand alone story with its own main characters. They are not overly complicated books and are a good fun read especially if you are familiar with the tropes and devices of magical fantasy, as it is fun spotting where they pop up (usually slightly tongue in cheek) as well as identifying the fairy tale elements (they aren't as immediately obvious as you think).

I have practically all of Mercedes Lackey's books, my favorite series of hers is the Velgarth Series (Valdemar Series) around 21 books total. Mercedes Lackey was also the first author I ever read - that's why I like her books I guess.

I have read a few of them and I did like them, I keep on meaning to read the rest of them but just never get around to actully reading them. lol :)

Back