• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mervyn Peake: Gormenghast

Deerskin

I have started reading Titus Groan after years of meaning to and am finding it.. unusual. Reading the introduction to the text (written by Anthony Burgess) I was interested in it's apparant status as a classic of literature, though often overlooked. I'd love to get other opinions on this - it's certainly different!
Please use spoiler boxes if you are going to give anything away, I am only just over half way through the first book! Thanks! :D

It's a great book though a lot of people don't seem to like the style for some reason. I think it's one of those that most people just have to read through a time or two before they really enjoy it. Definitely one of the early fantasy classics though at least in my opinion.

Definitely one of the early fantasy classics though at least in my opinion.

Is it classed as fantasy? I have not quite finished the first book but I have so far come across nothing which I would normally classify as 'fantasy'. Despite this I was undecided whether to post this thread here or in the Fantasy section.

I loved Gormenghast despite getting stalled halfway through 'Titus Groan' first time round. When I tried a second time I couldn't put it down.

I know that Gormenghast is based on ancient Chinese court life but is a creation of a seperate world which for me makes it fantasy (but without all the sub-Tolkienesque swords-and-sorcery rubbish that floods the market nowadays).

The first two books are superb. Beware the third in the trilogy as it felt a bit tacked on to the end, as if it were written for contractual reasons rather than having anything new to add.

I have to agree that the book feels 'unusual' (to use your expression Deerskin) to begin with. I wouldn't say it was a difficult style and once I was used to it, it felt like the only way it could have been written.

Back