• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Miami Red

knightman

WHEN I WAS TWO YEARS OLD, my parents abandoned me. At three, I moved to the Libertad orphanage. At four el pelirroja, raped me for the first time.

He ran the orphanage in a town called Santa Cruz Del Norte, Cuba. Every night el pelirroja, the redhead liked to take one of the boys, into the basement where he abused them.

I‘ll never forget the high-pitched screams and pleas for mercy.

I ran away five times, but the police always caught me. I‘d be sent back to el pelirroja. His punishment consisted of cuffing me face down to his bed, stubbing out cigarettes on my shoulders, beating me up with a wooden paddle, and then raping me.

When the assaults first began, I could never stop crying. But as I grew older, the tears dried up, I learned to deal with it. I would just close my eyes and wait for it to end. Because it follows a rule, which is the only thing I believe in.

Nothing lasts forever.

At sixteen, I became an adult and left the orphanage. I decided to seek my revenge on el pelirroja. No one ever saw him again.

I landed a job working in a garage. A fella named Julio De Soto owned the business. He got a kick out of telling me how inferior to him I was because my dark skin and black hair made me a mezsito whereas he was rosy cheeked, auburn haired sangre azul, a blue blood from Castile.

If that wasn’t enough to deal with, I also had to take sangre azul’s never-ending put-downs. Always down in front of the other workers, for maximum humiliation.

Your mother was always horizontal twenty four-seven. She was so easy!

Your father was a Bacardi drinking loser. I never saw him without a bottle being stuck to his lips.

Your parents abandoned you in a trashcan. Yes, that’s right in a thrash can, filled with wriggling maggots and chunky turds.

You lay undiscovered for three days until a hungry bum, scavenging for food, flipped the bin over, found your sorry ass and handed you in to the cops. Actually you know what? That bum should have munched into you for breakfast; it would have saved me from having to lay eyes on your ugly face every morning.

Listening to those barbs made me wish I could swing a right into his grinning kisser and watch him roll on the ground in agony. But that was never gonna happen, because I had no power. I was nothing more than a poor kid, with no family, who had to work fifteen hours a day and string a couple of bucks together to survive.

Home, was a one bed roomed apartment above a brothel. It was the cheapest place I could afford. I would have to walk through the landing, where all the gaunt prostitutes would wait for their customers to get to my apartment directly above.

The building stunk of semen and sweat. The girls were either always smoking coke or guzzling rum. They never used protection and would usually be too high to wash their filthy bodies underneath a shower.

In essence, they were the last type of women you’d want to screw.

After a hard day’s work, all I wanted was to hit the sack and sleep till the break of dawn. But that never occurred, because my place’s wafer thin floor allowed me to hear what went on down below. The loud groans. People banging on walls. Giggles and screams.

Sometimes I wondered why life had given me such a raw deal. Why didn’t my parents want me? What kind of low-life’s were they to leave me alone in the thrash? Why did el pelirroja rape me? What could I possibly have done to deserve that? And why did people always treat me like crap?

I couldn’t understand it.

I was a straight-laced guy. I had never screwed anyone around. I had never hurt anybody. I had always followed the law, paid my dues and I always tried to be the good guy.

How did he exact his revenge? I must know!

I really liked this, the simplicity in style pushed it along quickly without any blatant attempts at having an elegant prose.

Post more.

EDIT: My bad, hadn't noticed the link in your signature. I'll be reading the rest at your site.

Thanks SevenWritez. I'm happy you like it. Although I wish agents and publishers would also like it.

If you want to read the complete novel, just let me know.

Here you go, morosetoast

But no matter what I did, life just kept pushing me down.

Eventually I just had enough. This stupid country had given me nothing but pain and misery. I wanted to be like a snake, shedding its old skin, beginning a new life, going somewhere where no one would know or judge me. There was only one place a guy like me could go to, America.

I introduced sangre azul to my fist and snatched one-thousand-five hundred dollars from him. I came on a boat with five other people. The Coast Guard chased us all the way. They rammed our vessel. It sunk. The five others on board were hauled away by the Americans. I swam to the beach and gained freedom.

Chapter 1

I step onto a long, straight road flanked with palm trees. A metal signpost stands erect along the side, painted in green, it reads,

‘Key west—one human family.’

I walk down the avenue. But man, there’s something strange about this place. I see a guy with a handlebar moustache saunter down the road in butt hugging leather pants. Two men walk down the street holding hands.

Then a woman wearing a red bikini top and a short skirt walks up close. I hear her sandals smack against the bottom of her heels as she comes closer. She smiles and twirls, her skirt lifts into the air. I see a carpet of blond hair underneath.

My eyes widen in surprise. I realise what I’ve just seen.

The chick is naked.

The woman grabs my forearm, long nails digging into my skin and she whispers warmly into my ear.

“I’ll do you for fifty bucks.”

I reply.

“I’ll pass.”

She shrugs and walks off. I don’t have time for puta’s like her.

I never screw pussies for hire.

My ears pick up the sound of a slow moving car. I look. The vehicle crawls nearer; there’s slanted black and blue text on its side door.

‘Key West Police Department, protecting the community.’

I spin my head back. Eyes straight down.

Stay calm.

The wheels of the car crawl along. The engine hums. I glance towards the vehicle. I see a lone cop with a thin face, blue eyes, an aquiline nose, and gelled brown hair sitting with his red elbow propped on the rolled window, scrutinizing me.

I continue looking down at the sidewalk. I’m trying my best to act cool, to look normal. I wonder, what if he asks.

‘Hey pal, whatcha doing?‘

What will I say?

I look at the avenue; it’s long and straight.

What if I run?

I’ve always been a quick sprinter. Could he catch me?

“Piss off,” I whisper underneath my breath.

But the cop doesn’t shift. The car keeps rolling along. I start blinking quickly. My hands tremble. I try to stiffen them and make them stop. It doesn’t work. I stuff into my pockets. By now, I’m just waiting for something bad to happen.

He’s gonna stop the car, I’m gonna get arrested, I’m gonna go to jail.

I mean it’s gotta be that. What else could it be? He’s sizing me up; I’m taking a trip down to the slammer. So much for my dream, I’ve just arrived here and already, I’m screwed. Oh crap, what if the cop sends me back to Cuba.

No!

My heart’s racing like a bitch, I can’t breathe.

Back