• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Bailey: Palindrome Hannah

First of all, I’m uneasy about discussing a book with the author in the forum. Knowing this, I wish I could say that I really liked the book. I can’t say that. :eek: I’m only posting since I bought the book in order to take part in a discussion, and now I will put in my two cents worth, although the discussion seems to have died, and some other people have made the similar points.

Characters make or break a book for me – so that’s what I will focus on here. I think character should always be revealed in what the character does and says, never in the author’s judgment. The lack of character development in this book is evident when comparing it to the characters in Andrea Levy’s book, which is also up for discussion. Levy never once tells you that they are good or bad, and never makes that judgment for the reader. You are to make that call yourself by what the author reveals of her characters in their actions and how they behave in certain circumstances. And her characters are so rich and full that it isn’t always easy to decide – they have the kind of depth you find in real human beings. The author has made them real for us.

In the early chapters of Small Island, Hortense is revealed through her husband, Gilbert, to be something of a pill. Gilbert does not need to tell us she is a pill, but we know she is by the way she behaves. We also know something about Gilbert by the way he responds to Hortense.

We are told Tayson Pierce is a “selfish prick” in the first paragraph about Tayson. A little later “…he waited patiently at the bar as each new victim sat next to him and then abruptly left in disgust.” To prove that point he deliberately insults every occupant of the neighboring bar stool and they predictably leave in disgust. Predictably. The author has made his own book predictable with this technique. The initial description of Tayson was superfluous – and only would have worked for me if one of the occupants of the neighboring stool was more than a match for him, a surprise. Or, leave the initial judgments out, and let the reader decide for himself based on Tayson’s behavior.

Like mehastings I did not finish the book. This might be a flaw of mine – but I don’t finish a book if I don’t like it. I’m not in school anymore, haven’t been in a loooong time, so I read something because I enjoy it, or I don’t read it. I stopped reading on page 86, and I only got that far because I bought it and kept hoping that I would find something I liked about it.

I realize that people have different expectations of a book and judging from the comments on Amazon there are people who totally disagree with me. Sirmyk is quite young, and his writing will get better as he matures, but he evidently has readers who enjoy his work now. There may be a wide audience of these readers. So, I will happily send my copy to someone on a limited budget who would like to give “Palindrome Hannah” a chance. Just send me a personal note with your address. I’ll supply postage. First come, first served, no limitations on geographic location. :)

Sorry you didn't enjoy the book, but thanks for offering to pass it on to another who might. Did you at least like the cover art?

wenzdaze said:
First of all, I’m uneasy about discussing a book with the author in the forum.

I find this very interesting. Why would that make you uneasy? You are anonymous for the most part, and after reading through some of the other posts are you apprehesive that sirmyk might lash out, or somebody else maybe?

I would think that having the author of the book present would be a positive thing not a negative thing.

I wish you'd expand a bit on this statement. If you don't mind. Please?

Sure.

I think it simply relates to that human urge some of us have to always be nice. It doesn't seem very nice to not like what another person has done. However well intended, criticism hurts. I knew Michael wouldn't latch out - judging from his reactions to some of the other posts - so that really wasn't what bothered me. I was afraid that expressing the way I felt about the book might hurt. I don't like to hurt people, especially when they've invested time and effort in a project.

At the same time, I bought the book because it sounded interesting and I wanted to take part in a discussion. As a person who likes the book, would you find it as easy to critique a book you didn't like if the author was present? I'm guessing you'll say you'd have no problem - but have you done this? Just curious.

Thanks. We discussed some of that here awhile ago. It is not exacty about the BOTM area, but I think it hold true across the boards.

Sirmyk knew exactly what he was setting himself up for and possibly getting himself into in this situation. I nominated his book, but he was more than willing to participate.

It's all part and parcel to being an author. You can't please everybody.

Another review: TCM Reviews

Judy Goldman of TCM Reviews said:
Enter into the world of Palindrome, a place where things are not always as straightforward as they seem and all sense of direction seems strangely distorted. Michael Bailey engineers us through an inner journey, weaving five fascinating, separate tales. Then, in ways that show Mr. Bailey's mastery of the craft of writing, we are magically reconnected, back together like one happy family. Even the most astute reader will wonder how we all got back together again.

As we learn what makes Palindrome's characters so unique, we are transported out of our own sense of comfort back through to the other side and then back again. The individual tales were thrilling and left a deep understanding of the characters in Palindrome, but also in ourselves as well. But mostly you are bound to applaud the brilliant weaving of the subtle chord flowing throughout all the characters in Palindrome. Michael Bailey delivers one of the most clever, well-delivered books I've read in a very long time.

Palindrome Hannah by Michael Bailey is available at Amazon.

Back