• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Moore - Dude, Where's my country?

at least a dozen, in 2000 i was working in a campain for my state gobernors elections, and get to travel most of it and meet members of several political parties and got to talk with a lot of people about this or that guy, and some gave me a really good impresion, of course i cant put my hand in the fire for anybody, but they seemed to be honest people.

I'm sure they think what they believe in is right, which always leaves a good impression, but that doesn't mean they're honest with themselves.

I didn't claim any were, I'm talking theoretically. Because if they couldn't, then why even complain that someone is doing something dishonest to win an election. Would you rather have your guy be honest and have the other win the election? It was meant to be a hypothetical.

The thing to remember about Michael Moore is not whetther he's an empathetic observer trying to bring followers to his causes. Nor is it that Mr. Moore can claim that everything he puts out is based in fact.
The thing to remember is he is a capitalist. His objective above everything else is to make money for himself. Now in his chosen profession, as a "documentarian", he could follow the bandwagon, and make some money.
But.....he goes against the grain and cries out to the underdogs that they are right. Every bit of controversy whether in a favorable or negative light for Mr. Moore, fuels his ability to make money.
Mr Moore is the worst kind of Liar. he DOES base all of his statements in fact. From REAL articles and interviews. But he also skews the interviews and alters context of articles to support his claims. This is all designed to incite you....so that you'll spend more money and buy more of his products.

not worthy of respect, nor of hatred.
i just refuse to line his pockets with my money.

if you want to realize the full truth from his projects.....go to the originating sources of the articles and read them in their ENTIRETY there. not the subtle half truths of a sickening opportunist.

even if they're half-truths, you don't need someone to tell you that seeing people imprisoned and butchered is just disturbing. maybe michael moore doesn't care and is just trying to cash in on other people's misfortune. who knows? he obviously hates george w. bush, which I think is a total waste of energy, but that doesn't mean it's right to discard him. whether you're taking the non-cooperative approach by not giving him your money, I don't know. you don't think that he's worthy of anyone's hatred, but you label him a 'sickening opportunist'. c'mon, you can blame him for being a capitalist, but that isn't gonna make capitalism go away. people act selfishly for a lot of reasons, mostly they're lonely or insecure and think that they can buy happiness. it's human weakness.

MEYERTREE said:
The thing to remember is he is a capitalist. His objective above everything else is to make money for himself. Now in his chosen profession, as a "documentarian", he could follow the bandwagon, and make some money.

It's not about the money. The guy is having a great time. He loves what he's doing.

Let's face it, it's a lot more fun to lob spitballs at the teacher than to try to design a better curriculum. Just look at the level of discourse on this board, in this election, and in the public sphere in general.

When an election depends on the candidate's hairdo as much as anything substantive, what's the big deal? Michael Moore isn't the problem and he isn't the antidote to anything, he's just the flip side of Fox.

I looked at Michael Moore as an answer to the nasty radio talk show hosts on the airways these days. I have read his book, and it brought a lot of things to my attention which I checked out and which really bothered me. The problem in this country (and probably every country) the government does not tell everything and lies, most newspapers only tell a portion of a story or are very biased one way or the other and we are losing rights.

I have to agree with Ben Franklin - "A country which would give up its freedom for safety, neither deserves freedom nor safety."

I think Michael Moore tried very hard to bring certain situations to the public's attention. Some may be theory, that is true. But he also asked a lot of questions. And I guess what I find troubling is that a lot of people are just accepting things and not asking questions.

This isn't really about Michael Moore, but since the discussion is widening...

Have you heard of the offense of initiate that occured the day before the 9/11? I wonder if anyone else than Éric Laurent, a french writer, wrote on this (he wrote "la face cachée du 11 septembre").

It starts with the fact that the day before the 9/11, there was 25 times the amount of normal trades on the options of the 2 companies that had their plane crashing in the 2 towers. Those trades were made by one trading company that I don't remember, and, 3 days later or so, the president of this company left and got hired as the third highest director of the CIA!! It means that someone knew that the incident would occur and made an incredible amount of money eith this information.

Options are like bet you take on the value of an action, so if you know with short notice that an action will crash, you can make a fearful amount of money, because you take a bet that seems ridiculous at the time, and it turns out you are right.

Anyway, anyone heard of this, it's, in my opinion, the biggest offense of initiate of the history, if it's true...

I'll go see on the net for more accurate info on this french book, and maybe read it if I can find the time, and come back with a new tread.

I do not admire Michael Moore; he's just another politically-biased blowhard. I'm tired of the immensely biased books out there, and I'm talking about books from the left and right.

If you'd like to read a nonbiased, non-conspiracy-based book on how and why 9/11 happened and what the consequences have been, please read America's Secret War by George Freidman. This guy does a great job of sticking to facts and intelligence; it's his business. Almost all the rest of the garbage that's out there is just political rhetoric. If anyone knows about garbage on Friedman, let me know. I haven't found any.

I just went to the library and took a peek into the book I mentionned in the above thread...I was deceived; the estimated profit resulting from the supposed offense of initiate is only about 10 millions, so it really isn't that big of a deal...

The fact that someone would know about the attack isn't much of a surprise: at least a few people must have been aware of the preparations of this attack; what scared me was the amount of money that this informed person could use to achieve its questionnable goals.

Since it's far less than Bin Laden's fortune, or the Bush clan ;) ,it's far less scary...

Anyway, if anyone has more accurate info about this matter, feel free to enlighten us.

forget what I've written in the previous thread, the amount of money made in those transactions is "only" about 11 millions, it could have been far worse...

Garthbooks said:
I am a democrat, and admire Mr. Moore. He was the only person that had the "Balls" to make Farenheit 911. Bush never went after the TERRORIST, he went after IRAQ,( For the Oil) & they never had weapons of mass dest
I've quoted it once, I'll quote it again...
"Like badly taught six-year-olds, we are too quick to go straight to opinion making without the intermediate steps of understanding and evaluation."

-Susan Wise Bauer

Back