• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Monthly Book Discussions

rune

Unfortunately due to heavy study workload this year I've not always been able to get to posting onto this forum.
It's a shame because I like coming here, but once this year's studies are over I'll be able to come more often :)

However, I noticed when I can't participate the monthly book dicussion I've started on other occasions doesnt go ahead.

Are members, who post on this forum, still interested in this idea ?

Well in the past I've asked for nominations then the book with the most is set up as a thread for a discussion.

One book per month :)

That already happens, doesn't it? Nominations for the June book are currently open. I nominated one for the first time (like you, I've got more time on my hands now that it's summer). Doesn't that mean a discussion will follow? Or does the discussion fizzle out?

Kookamoor said:
That already happens, doesn't it? Nominations for the June book are currently open. I nominated one for the first time (like you, I've got more time on my hands now that it's summer). Doesn't that mean a discussion will follow? Or does the discussion fizzle out?

I'm not talking about the main book discussion for the whole site. Just this forum. It doesnt seem to happen unless I start a thread asking for nominations.

Oh, I see - a Scifi/Fantasy book of the month, you mean? I've never noticed such a post... Why don't you ask one of the mods to make it a 'sticky' at the top of the forum? That may help.

I just joined today, and I would probably be more interested in discussing a sci-fi book than I would the book in the main section. Let me (well, not me personally, but everyone) know what the book is. Has Ender's Game ever been discussed? (That's my favorite sci-fi book.)

Kookamoor said:
Oh, I see - a Scifi/Fantasy book of the month, you mean? I've never noticed such a post... Why don't you ask one of the mods to make it a 'sticky' at the top of the forum? That may help.
I concur with this

Problem being that new books need to be nominated each month, so it's something that needs managed every month.

I have done it quite often in the past, but as I mentioned. If I dont start it, no one else does :confused:

So I am quite happy to start a nomination thread, when I have the time. However, if I dont have the time - will it happen?

Or maybe, so as not to make too much of a burden for someone, the discussion could go for two months at a time, which is still better than not having the discussion at all. I usually get the books I read at the library, so if it is a newer book, I wouldn't get it within the one-month time anyway.

rune said:
Problem being that new books need to be nominated each month, so it's something that needs managed every month.

I have done it quite often in the past, but as I mentioned. If I dont start it, no one else does :confused:

So I am quite happy to start a nomination thread, when I have the time. However, if I dont have the time - will it happen?

Well, I think you will need to make a consistent effort if you want this to take off, rune. That might sound a little harsh, but I think it is the honest truth. I agree that it sounds like fun, but many of us are limited in time. Besides, if you don't have time, what does it matter if the thread is up or not? ;) But keep at it and you might find that others want to keep it going when you don't have the time. Remember that you only need to *start* the thread, and it takes less than 5 minutes to log in, type the thread, and log out.

Here's an idea... what about a series every 2 months, or a book over one month? I mean, fantasy books are rarely just one book these days, right? I couldn't bear to read only the first book of a series at all!!

a series in 2 months. No way. Currently a series takes about 10-20 years to write. (eg Jorden!!).

I do not see a problem with having one book in a series up for discussion. The thread can be like an old friend that visits once in a blue moon, as each subsequent book is written and then read and discussed by us.

It looks like a few would be interested in still doing book discussions :D I'll start a thread for nominations for a July book :)

Carlos said:
a series in 2 months. No way. Currently a series takes about 10-20 years to write. (eg Jorden!!).

I do not see a problem with having one book in a series up for discussion. The thread can be like an old friend that visits once in a blue moon, as each subsequent book is written and then read and discussed by us.

Fair call. I was not referring to Jordan at all (*shudders... not a fan) - more referring to those 3 book series' in which all the books have been written. I don't see why the book for discussion must necessarily be new...

Kookamoor said:
Fair call. I was not referring to Jordan at all (*shudders... not a fan) - more referring to those 3 book series' in which all the books have been written. I don't see why the book for discussion must necessarily be new...
The book would not have to be new, there is more chance of people joining in if it's been around for a while

Back