• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Morbid Non-Fiction Recommendations

Heidizzle

If anyone is interested, I recently finished two very good non-fiction books (I'm usually a fiction-only kind of girl):

Pox: Genius, Madness, and the Mysteries of Syphilis, by Deborah Hayden

and

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach

Pox is a great one for fiction lovers, since it covers everyone from Christopher Columbus to Oscar Wilde to Adolf Hitler, but mostly focuses on authors and poets of the 19th Century.

If you're looking for morbid I would look into accounts of the Nazi prison camps. There's no shortage of morbid non-fiction about that topic.

If you like morbid, I read Patrica Cornwell's Jack the Ripper book, and it was really awesome. She totally convinced me she knew who the killer was. Warning: gruesome crime scene photos of the victims. Black and white, though, and blurry, so it's not as terrible as it would be today. It still made me a little green, though.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
If you like morbid, I read Patrica Cornwell's Jack the Ripper book, and it was really awesome. She totally convinced me she knew who the killer was. Warning: gruesome crime scene photos of the victims. Black and white, though, and blurry, so it's not as terrible as it would be today. It still made me a little green, though.

That one was good too.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
Warning: gruesome crime scene photos of the victims. Black and white, though, and blurry, so it's not as terrible as it would be today.

I don't mind gory photos--I've got a coffee table style book on serial killers that has some rather vivid police photos. I know which Jack the Ripper photos you mean, though (there are only so many floating out there) and he really did quite a number on that victim. Phew!

I'm not usually a Cornwell fan, but I'll check it out.

Have you tried any Harold Schechter? He's got a great series on famous killers and criminals...

raffaellabella said:
The Great Mortality - AN INTIMATE HISTORY OF THE BLACK DEATH by John Kelly.

Ooooh! Yes, you know, I was recently thinking about finding a good book about the Plague. Or pirates. Both are intriguing to me. Although I have a feeling that pirate books are mostly going to be boring economic-minded texts. So that's a no on the pirates then.

I have a fascination with the Black Death. I've read a few books on it and on a scientific level I find it interesting, and also terrifying on a social level.

Back