• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Morrissey / The Smiths

Halo

I thought I'd kick things off with a thread devoted to my favourite Mancunian vegetarian singer and lyricist! :D

I know there are a few of us Moz fans who frequent this forum. Do you prefer his Smiths or solo work, or is it impossible to choose?

What are your favourite albums, songs or lyrics?

Although I frequently change my mind, at the moment I prefer Moz's solo work. I don't know if I can choose favourite albums, but I loved The Queen is Dead and You Are The Quarry.

Favourite songs - how can you choose? As for lyrics... Sweet and Tender Hooligan always makes me nod my head in agreement - so true and so simply put.

Morrissey is, of course, a genius. I prefer his solo stuff because his voice is so much richer and stronger, and his lyrics are (marginally) less self-regarding and play less to the gallery. You are the Quarry is one of those rare albums which demands to be listened to through from start to finish or else it loses a good deal of its force. Other than that my favourite albums of his are Your Arsenal and Vauxhall & I. Other thoughts here.

Wow. I am so impressed by that John Self - he knows what he's talking about. He expressed everything so much better than I ever could. I actually find it quite difficult to express why I like Morrissey so much. Of course, you can start by saying that his lyrics are pure genius and he has a beautiful singing voice, but those are pretty basic comments. To go into more depth is very hard for me. :confused:

Shade said:
I prefer his solo stuff because his voice is so much richer and stronger

I agree. In some early Smiths' work, Morrissey's voice gets drowned out, but now he has a wonderful range and clarity to his voice.

I don't think there is one dud on Vauxhall and I, but my least favourite is probably The Lazy Sunbathers. If I had to pick my favourite off this album, it would be Speedway.

From Your Arsenal, least favourite is We'll Let You Know. I find it rather dirge-like and boring. Favourites include Tomorrow and You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side ("and here I am... Well, you don't need to look so pleased.") :D

I agree with your least-faves on Vauxhall and Arsenal, Halo. I started to prefer The Lazy Sunbathers when I decided it might (just possibly) be about people who rely on tabloid newspapers. Sun-bathers, geddit?

A world war was announced
Days ago
But they didn't know
The lazy sunbathers

The Sun burns through
To the planet's core
And it isn't enough
They want more

Nothing appears
To be
Between the ears
of the lazy Sunbathers

And yes, We'll Let You Know is a bit dreary, but the football hooliganism theme goes nicely with the Tory-bashing of Glamorous Glue and the anti-racism of The National Front Disco (one of his very finest songs, and so pathetically misunderstood by the NME for the purposes of fomenting controversy that their stupidity must surely have been wilful).

I agree about You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side - I first listened to it on my Discman (no iPods in them days...) in town immediately after buying it, and burst out laughing at the line "...Well, you don't need to look so pleased."

And let's not forget some of his non-album tracks, like Boxers (EP), Nobody Loves Us (B-side to Dagenham Dave), The Edges are No Longer Parallel (B-side to Roy's Keen) and Pregnant for the Last Time (B-side to, er, something):

Chips with cream for the last time
The People's Friend for the last time
We're so glad you've finally decided

Tiny striped socks for the last time
Pokes and prods for the last time
And the doctor said:
'Don't nod your head
Until June'

Sick at noon for the last time
And who is going to clean up: 'would you be so kind?'
And everybody's staring
At the strange clothes
That you're wearing

Bad advice for the last time
And people being nice for the last time
We're so glad that you've finally decided to

All knocked off in two-and-a-half minutes. Perfect.

Halo said:
Wow. I am so impressed by that John Self

I'll pass on your regards. ;)

Shade said:
And let's not forget some of his non-album tracks, like Boxers (EP), Nobody Loves Us (B-side to Dagenham Dave), The Edges are No Longer Parallel (B-side to Roy's Keen) and Pregnant for the Last Time (B-side to, er, something):

Exactly! As someone (almost) said, "It is a truth universally acknowledged that some of Morrissey's best songs are hidden away as B-sides".

I adore both extra tracks on Dagenham Dave - Nobody Loves Us and You Must Please Remember. To think Dagenham Dave was the single release when these two gems were on the B-side!

(Pregnant... was a B-side to We Hate it When Our Friends Become Successful.)

What do you think to the B-sides to his Quarry singles? Standouts for me are Friday Mourning, Never-Played Symphonies and Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice, but the track I currently have on repeat is Teenage Dad on His Estate. Gorgeous tune and wonderful lyrics - Moz manages to say so much in one short song.

You chase in the rat-race
And you always feel so hollow
You marry because it's expected of you
And it only makes you feel more lonely

But still you look down on the teenage dad on
On his estate
He's happy so leave him alone
With his baby
And his modest home
With his Jensen Interceptor
It's just a runaround

You defer to the views of the television news
Let someone do your thinking for you
And you still buy a daily newspaper
And you find everything there but the news

And still you look down on the teenage dad on
On his estate
With his baby
And his modest home
With his Jensen Interceptor
It's just a runaround

You become your parents' parent
And you love them
But you can't help feeling used
And you hate the teenage dad on his estate
Because he's poor but he's happier than you
They're all laughing at you
You're a dipper, a slider, cart-horse provider
Nobody cares about you
Just as long as you're out there bringing it in
Despising the grin on the face of the boy
With the methadone
With his methadone
With his methadone

I'm ashamed to admit I don't have any of the singles from You Are the Quarry - indeed until I checked iTunes just now, I didn't know he had released Let Me Kiss You or I Have Forgiven Jesus. I see I could buy all nine B-sides from the album for £7.11 though...

hm im not too wild about the smiths or morrissey. theres one song that i really love "the first of the gang to die" or something.

Yes, that's a good song. :) It really gets the crowd moving when he plays that one at concerts.

I just want to say that Morrisey is one of my Gods.If not theGod.:)

My personal fav is 'Take me out tonight' (is that the right title)

fav line 'and if a ten ton truck kills the both of us.' It always makes me laugh.

I love 'First in the Gang' too. and 'Girlfriend in a Coma'.

Damn, I'm going on ebay to buy some more. Bysie bye.

jaybe said:
My personal fav is 'Take me out tonight' (is that the right title)

fav line 'and if a ten ton truck kills the both of us.' It always makes me laugh.

That'll be fan-favourite "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". Morrissey often ends his concerts with this one. :)

I too love that line: "And if a 10-ton truck kills the both of us, to die by your side, well the pleasure, the privilege is mine". :D

I managed to get the albums I was missing (or replacing on CD) from eBay, and the singles I wanted with the rare (and excellent) B-sides. :cool:

Yes, I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the piccie though, I haven't seen that before! :cool: I think his first single is called "You Have Killed Me". Persecution complex, perhaps? ;)

And of course it's a masterpiece - it's Morrissey! :p

Forgot to say: For UK viewers - Moz's new video for his single is going to be shown tonight on Channel 4!! Think about 11 pm time.

Halo...

I just wanted you to know: I don't know who Morrissey is! :D

If I were to give him a try - which *one* album should I get (now that *one* is important - his entire discography would probably bankrupt me).

ds

How dare you admit that? Never heard of HIM!

Maybe ther's a Smith's or Morrissey greatest hits?

[Laugh!]

Please no jibes about how a tasteless banana with a bad dress sense would know of such a cultivated musical icon.

:)

ds

Morrissey's ont'telly t'night :D :D :D

Don't miss him. Channel 4 after the nine o'clock film(that sounds good too) so it'll be around 11pm.

direstraits said:
Halo...

I just wanted you to know: I don't know who Morrissey is! :D

If I were to give him a try - which *one* album should I get (now that *one* is important - his entire discography would probably bankrupt me).

ds

:eek: I'm in a good mood, so I'll forgive your shocking confession that you don't know who Morrissey is, ds! :D (Former lead singer with The Smiths, now solo.)

I would recommend you start out with Morrissey's last album, You Are The Quarry. Very accessible, and not a duff track on it. If you find you like that, then try Vauxhall And I and Your Arsenal.

There are some good Smiths compilations, such as Louder Than Bombs, and some singles collections. Happy listening! :)

Back