• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most harrowing chapter in a novel

Fieldy

Although, Im currently reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky and have not finished. I have just read an early chapter when a horse gets flogged to death in front of a young child.

Such is the mastery of Dostoyevsky's writing (so great I have to refer to him with a capital letter) I felt I was physically their through the eyes of the child :) as the emotional intensity rebounded of every word. Simply amazing.

I felt sorry for the horse, and felt a little down as it died:( just as Nietzsche must of felt when he went insane seeing a horse flogged in the street. Ironic or co-incedence that two adherents of adversity through nilhism have an epi-phenomenon experience?

Just wondering other people's view on this chapter, and other novels with chapters they find especially harrowing ;)

I have not read any Dostoyevsky (which is always capitalised; it is a name), but there are a few stories that have affected me n some deep level. Some of them:

- the scenes following Gandalf's "death" in LOTR (I am not spoiler tagging that. If anyone hasn't read it by now, they deserve to have it spoiled)
- a group of university students being mowed down by the military, and a radio dj suffering the same fat in "The Stand".
- all of "One Flew Over the Cockoo's Nest"
- the final chapter of HBP (I know, I know..)
- parts of "Angela's Ashes"
- the final parts of "The last Battle" of the Chronicles of Narnia

Now you make me want to reread the book.. :) I can't remember the chapter (I read the book 8 years ago) but know how you feel. You almost feel powerless.

I get that a lot of times. I got it when reading The Outsider and Stepford Wives, to an extent.

Back