• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most influential book you ever read?

Out of the many books that I have read the one that is most influential to me would be Living Green by Greg Horn. I'm not sure that I can really count that, it wasn't really a novel. I learned many useful things from it and it convinced me to eat as organic as possible.

My most influential novels that I've read change all the time. Currently, for me, it is 'Simple As Snow.' I just finished reading it and it was an amazing read. The only thing is it is directed more towards young adults, which is what I am so I really liked it a lot. :)

also I just remembered another good one. This book is AMAZING I highly recommend it.
For One More Day - Mitch Albom

Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. I embraced a new life entirely after reading it...to the point of kicking away my old corporate, city-slick lifestyle, into exploring nature, simplicity, and a 360 degree turn of new life in a new country. It has been 4 years, and Walden is still the book that keeps me going, whatever I am doing, at any point in my life...

There are too many of his quotes which are of deep impact, but here are the two that are of the most significant:

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth. I sat at a table where were rich food and wine in abundance, an obsequious attendance, but sincerity and truth were not; and I went away hungry from the inhospitable board. The hospitability was as cold as the ices"

"No man ever followed his genius until it misled him. Though the result were bodily weakness, yet perhaps no one can say that the consequences were to be regretted, for those were a life in conformity to higher principles. If the day and night are such that you greet them with joy, and life emits a fragrance like flowers and sweet-scented herbs, is more elastic, more starry, more immortal - that is your success. All nature is your congratulation, and you have cause momentarily to bless yourself. The greatest gains and values are furthest from being appreciated. We easily come to doubt if they exist. We soon forget them. They are the highest reality...The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched"

As someone mentioned, Trainspotting had something... the description of a group of people so far away from my own life-style made me rethink a few things (and if drugs didn't fascinate me at the time, after that I swore I'd never touch it).

And The grapes of Wrath for the way it shows human nature and despair. And Brave New World because I don't think the Brave New World is that far away...

Dharma

Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm

These two books made me realize that communism and capitalism are very much alike.

Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. I embraced a new life entirely after reading it...to the point of kicking away my old corporate, city-slick lifestyle, into exploring nature, simplicity, and a 360 degree turn of new life in a new country. It has been 4 years, and Walden is still the book that keeps me going, whatever I am doing, at any point in my life...

There are too many of his quotes which are of deep impact, but here are the two that are of the most significant:

Can't beat Thoreau, that's for sure. I have to re-read Walden soon.

Back