• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

murder on the orient express (spoilers)

mr_michel

kickbox
i just finish the book two days ago, it was a lot better than i expected, and yesterday i saw the movie and it was great.
usually when you read the book first you get to be disapointed of the movie, i was curious about the acting so i rented the movie (the 1974 one), i was pointing in my mind all the differences, and there were a lot, missing facts
the importance of the time, how it should be 12:15 in the first explanation or a lot of them coffesing being related to the armstrong family before poirot's explanation
new facts to explain things that were ligthly covered in the book
the picture of the nanny and her relationship with hardman or miss debenham being in love with the colonel
and i must say that most characters but the colonel and the italian were portrayed way different than in the book (or at least thats my impresion) starting with poirot himself, when he is not investigating he is portrayed like and annoying dislikeable little man (cant find the right words in english), the princess seems to be in control most of the time , but in the movie she is easily cornered by poirot, miss hubbard its portrayed like a very proud kinda snobish loud woman who talks to much when in the book (according to my impression) is a whining annoying woman overly dependant of her daughter, they even change mr bouc for mr bianci funny thing if you consider that in the book
mr bouc keep suspecting of the italian fella basicly for being italian
just to say some examples.

usually this its enough to make a movie disapointing if you read the book first, but in this case i wasnt, it was a great adaptation, even some of the changed scenes were better than those depicted in the book and with better dialogues too, the more obvious example its the interrogation of the suede lady,
which takes place in english instead of french just to show how she pretended not to know english
and for ingrid bergman to show off, and she did so, a superb acting, a five minute scene was enough to win her an oscar.

in short this is a great movie based on a great book that you will enjoy even if you find as so many differences as i did.

i have both read the book and seen the filma as well. the book was brilliant,i am sure such a novel idea would never have been used before.

the film i saw ages ago, all i remember is that i didnt like Poirot. one could hardly hear what he was saying. also they skipped my most favourite dialogue
Poirot says to the murdered fellow, "I dont like your face"

Back