• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Music while you are reading or writing. Life's Theme Song?

My life has a theme song, an anthem actually, and it is The Ramones - She Talks to Rainbows. That's the song that will be played in my funeral also.

I worked better with music. If it's noise or music I don't like I can't block it, so it doesn't bother me.

My life theme? Wish you were here by Pink Floyd or acrobat by U2

When I'm writing prose fiction, I definitely need mood music. Sometimes I spend an extra day or two searching for just the right music as part of my preparation for writing a scene. Tchaikovsky seems to be my main muse.

When I'm writing poetry, however, I can't have any music; the rhythm interferes.

As for reading, I have a habit of listening to synthesizer music when I read science fiction--Switched on Bach, for example. For other reading, I don't bother with music; it's just distracting.

I listen to music all the time, when reading, sleeping, thinking. I find that it helps me control my emotions, which is so hard for me. For instance, if I'm feeling really depressed, I'll play Coldplay, if I need to get angry when I'm lifting, for instance, I'll play Tool or At the Drive In, before I go to sleep I usually listen to trip-hop, Radiohead, or some other dreamy music. I like to play music when I'm reading, and usually when I'm done with a book, I let a song replay and that song associates the feeling I got from the book. Whenever I play that song again, that feeling recurs in me.

I don't listen to music when i read theres no point as i completely get absorbed into my reading and nothing else matters.

A while back i accidentally stumbled across a strange german group (they sing in english)-called the Chamber Noir - their music and lyrics make my spine tingle and i get this rush of creativity and and thirst to write. So before i start writing i always listen to them first. During writing no music - i get so absorbed i wouldn't hear it.

You can hear a sample of their weird and wonderful music at:
http://www.chamber-online.de/songs.html

As for my theme song, hmmmm i guess Nancy Sinatras 'Bang Bang My Baby Shot me down..' :p

The stereotypical "writer's desk" is facing a window with a grand view of a lake, or the woods, or a mountain or something like that. That wouldn't work for me. My "writing desk" is in my windowless basement. Any noise, activity, or rustling outside of my writing world is a complete distraction. I guess I may have concentration issues, but I really need silence (and, preferably, darkness) when I write, or read, or study (haven't studied in a long while, though).

Theme song, huh? hmmm...

I guess "Ramblin' Man" by the Allman Brothers.

or maybe "Laughter in the Rain" by Neil Sedaka.

all kinds of noise is the usual thing in my house,but i totally lose myself in a book,i am good at switching off from what is going on around me! :D

I haven't written anything in years which to my mind is a bit of a shame because I used to write all the time. I would prefer quiet whilst writng though. As for reading it depends really. Sometimes I'll put music on and I realise I've not heard a single song when the CD stops, other times a song will come on and I'll start singing along to it.

I guess it would be better not to listen whilst reading really.

As for a theme song check out my signature!

Back