• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My latest non-fiction buys.

I recently had a spending spree with "Amazon" and bought the following titles:-

The Great Escape by Anton Gill

(The full dramatic story of the escape from Stalag Luft III with contributions from survivors and their families)

Capturing Enigma by Stephen Harper

(How the destroyer HMS Petard attacked a German U-boat U-559 in the Eastern Mediterranean in October 1942 and seized the secret Enigma coding material thus enabling Bletchley Parks codebreakers to crack them)

A Foreign Field by Ben Macintyre

(In August 1914 four young British soldiers find themselves trapped behind enemy lines at the height of the fighting on the Western Front. Unable to get back to their units, they shelter in the tiny village of Villeret. Living in daily fear of capture and execution, they are fed, clothed and protected by the villagers, including the baker and his wife, and the local matriarch Madame Dessenne. One of the soldiers falls in love with the result that a child is born. The child is just six months old when they are betrayed to the Germans. They are captured, tried as spies, and shot by a firing squad)

Colditz by Henry Chancellor

(For the first time "Colditz" contains the prisoners own story. Using seventy-six original interviews, the English, French, Dutch and Polish officers and their guards describe their experiences. Many have never spoken before)

The Real Bravo Two Zero by Michael Asher.

(Michael Asher went to Iraq to investigate what really happened. The story he reveals is very different. There was great bravery and dedication - on both sides and none more so than Sergeant Vince Phillips, whose body lies in an unmarked grave in the desert)

The Trench by Richard van Emden

(This book was written to accompany the series shown on BBC television where the experiences of trench warfare in 1916 were experienced by present day "recruits")

I hope to review these books as I complete them.

Ian

"The Real Bravo Two Zero by Michael Asher"

u watch the tv prog about it few wks ago...pretty good.
embarrassing for mcnab and the others...

Originally posted by Ian Sanders
Capturing Enigma by Stephen Harper

(How the destroyer HMS Petard attacked a German U-boat U-559 in the Eastern Mediterranean in October 1942 and seized the secret Enigma coding material thus enabling Bletchley Parks codebreakers to crack them)

I read the book "Enigma" (in German language) some year ago, I think it was that one. It is a really good one!

:)

/Holger

Originally posted by loci
"The Real Bravo Two Zero by Michael Asher"

u watch the tv prog about it few wks ago...pretty good.
embarrassing for mcnab and the others...

No, I must have missed that one, which is a pity, so I will have to read the book first and then keep a lookout for a repeat showing.

Ian

Ian, Thanks for the info! I didn`t know that there was another version of "The Great Escape." I just ordered it! If you haven`t read the classic "The Great Escape", by Paul Brickhill, you must read it! Incredible! Also, in this book, Brickhill recommends another escape book called "The Wooden Horse." Apparently it's based on a similar tunneling effort in which the prisoners build a covered vaulting horse for recreational activity, and park it out near the warning wire. What the Germans don`t realize is that while the vaulting is going on, there are three fellows underneath the horse. Tunneling! All three made it out and back to England, via Sweden. Fascinating what human minds can do, when resources are limited, and so much is at stake. Dan-o

The Great Escape

This is another book that has been made into a movie. It is in B & W if I remember correctly.

I have just finished reading "Colditz by Henry Chancellor". This goes into more detail about the hundreds of escape attempts made from the castle, by all nationalities. I would quite like to go on one of the organised tours that visits the castle every summer.

Ian

Ian, many years ago, I read P.R. Reid's Escape from Colditz and was truly amazed by the exploits of the Allied prisoners there. And, by the way, there is a very nice (though very brief) discussion of the Enigma machine in Simon Singh's The Code Book .

My latest non-fiction buys are Roanoke, about the (claimed) solving of the disappearance of the colony of the first American settlers, and The Stabbing of George Harry Storrs, a reconstruction of the events surrounding the murder of wealthy Cheshire tycoon. Both in my TBR pile, though.

Back