• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Name the Novel (How's that for alliteration?)

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a ... (cough cough) ... WINNER!!!

Your turn, Idun, to mystify us with your wondrous wordplay, your puzzling problem, your bewildering brain-teaser, your confusing complexity, your complicated conundrum, your distracting dilemma, your entangling enigma, your mind-boggling mystery, your perplexing predicament, your twisting teaser, your ...

Ahem, sorry for that.

Cheers, Martin :D

Here my wondrous wordplay, confusing complexity, etc. goes:

A tale about how hatred for the book about comedy and laughter can lead to a series of murders.

Good luck!

Since three days passed and nobody attempted to guess my riddle, I'm giving a second clue:

The Hound of the Baskervilles does not appear in the book.

A third clue:

The action takes place in a monastery, in the Middle Ages.

Yes, Ell, you're right. It's The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco.

Congratulations!

Now it's your turn to ask a riddle.;)

Okay, here goes:

A young man is plagued by guilt after comitting murder.

- maybe too easy??

After publishing this book in England, imprisonment for debts was abolished. In spite of the difficult subject, the book is very funny and you can laugh out loudly.

More clues:

In England, in early years of nineteenth century four gentelmen (who are the members of a special club) are travelling through the country.
One of the travellers gets innocently into the prison for debts (accused of breaking a marriage promise, which he never made).
The main character is nice, but very naive. On the contrary, his servant is a clever guy.

You picked a difficult one, Idun, or is this one of those 'Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't get that one'-answers?!

As for me, I'm still clueless.

Cheers, Martin :D

I deny ever editing this post...

Sorry, wasn't paying attention to this thread. This one's simple.

Pickwick Papers by the wonderful Boz.

Mxx

Well, Martin, I dare to claim it truly is ' Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't get that one.'

Murphyz is right. It's Pickwick Papers.

Congratulations, Murphyz. Your turn.:cool:

This is more a short story rather a book.

Due to hirsuite reasons a man has to copy out part of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica ,he engages a detective to find out why, who in term discovers a crime.

That would be The Redheaded League by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I need to think of one now, let's see..........

A professor uses logic to transport himself into an age of mythology.

Back