• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Scarlet Letter

ValkyrieRaven88

I enjoyed this book a lot--I love the symbolism and how it shows where Puritan New England goes wrong. The only thing that bugged me was, when I rented a movie based on the book with Demi Moore in it, it had absolutely nothing to do with the book.
They just had some characters with the same names and that was it. Dimmesdale in the book and Dimmesdale in the movie have totally different personalities; same thing with Pearl. The movie added Indians and the Salem witch trials, and if you've read about the trials you know they totally mutilated the information. Has anyone else read this book, and seen this movie? What is your take on it?

Never watched the movie, but read the book. I also liked it a lot! I'm sure that there couldn't be a movie ever made that would do it justice. Let me ask you this though; who's your favorite character? I like Dimmesdale, but I think that Hester is mine. She finds a way to cope with situations instead of finding a way out. It is a reminder to me that not all things come easily and the ones that come the hardest often bear the sweetest fruits.

My favorite character was Pearl. I just fell in love with the "elf-child" he described. It sort of surprised me everyone was so sure she was destined for evil; she sounded very precocious and cute to me. But then again, being too talented or smart can scare people, and it didn't help that they disliked Hester so much.
LOL. I have to agree, Sofia.

yeah, stay far far away from the movie. I enjoyed the book when I had to read it in high school. I recently bought another copy and plan on rereading it. I may start it once I finish the book I'm reading now.

In all honesty who likes this book. show of hands. it attempts to be all mysterious in the beginning as if we don't know what's ailing the minister, but really it's significantly evident. also who had to read this book for school and either hated it or never finished it?

This is one of my favorite classic works of literature. The portrayal of tortured souls sometimes had me jump out of my chair. One thing I noticed in class was that the girls all liked it and the boys all hated it. But that could have been just us.

We went over this book in such detail in high school, that I honestly can't say that I liked it or didn't. It was more like a research subject. It became very familiar over that semester.

Back