• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need help finding book title/author

system1800

Years ago I read a book; actually I believe it was a collection of short stories previously published in a magazine. A possible title could be "The _____ chronicles" or "The chronicles of _______."

In the first few stories the focus of the book is some sort of chryo sleep. People are able to sleep for months, even years at a time, and awaken without aging. The more important you are, the less time you stay awake, thus prolonging your life.

There were several stories along this line including a story of an artist who refused to partake of the technology, although his status warranted it. His friend would awaken every so often and notice the paintings and how famous they had become.

Another focused on a man awaking and wanting to take part in an ongoing game simulation. He had built a city and brought it to power in this game world and wanted to continue playing, but found that while he slept someone else had bought the rights to control his city.

As the book progresses a central character travels through space with some colonist. There is some sort of malfunction which wipes the memory of the other passengers giving them the mental state of babies.

The man must raise these men and women as children and deposits them on a planet. He sleeps for years at a time and comes down to check on their progress and is looked upon as a god.

That’s really all I remember. If anyone recognizes these stories, please reply.

Thanks in advance.

remembered more...

I just remembered another detail. I believe that the title of the book had the main characters name in it. So it would be something like, "The [Name] Chronicles" or somesuch.

Tried a Google Search Yet?

Have you considered a Google search using "the * Chronicles"? You might see something that jumps out. I did one for you and a lot of names popped up; Lexian Chronicles, Windhall Chronicles, etc. You never know!

Levermint said:
Have you considered a Google search using "the * Chronicles"? You might see something that jumps out. I did one for you and a lot of names popped up; Lexian Chronicles, Windhall Chronicles, etc. You never know!

Yes, I've googled every variation of "chronicles" and even some others like "saga" just in case.

I'm beginning to think the book just doesn't exist and I just dreamed the whole thing. :(

Been a while, just thought I would see if any new faces would finally find my book.

I did remember one more of the stories:

The people with the wiped minds are beginning to create a colony. One of the men is taking an axe into the woods for hours at a time. It is discovered that he has built himself a house away from the colony. When the colony desides to take his house and give it to the next person waiting, he runs away with one of the women and builds a home in the wilderness. They go from room to room yelling "We are married" to become husband and wife.

I hope this helps someone find my book!

Back