• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

need help finding certain type of book

kirrag

I like reading all sorts of books, but I've found that one type in particular really peaks my interest and just sucks me in. I really like books that involve things like tough guys, maybe gangs, and fighting(street, boxing, or other forms). Maybe looping these into a story about some teen or young adult growing up and facing adversity. That doesn't necessarily mean starting out with a disturbed character and after having an epiphany or coming to some realization he changes his ways. I haven't read too many books but I will list the ones I can think of that I have read like this: Somebody Up There Likes Me, Golden Gloves Challenger, Fighting Ruben Wolfe, The Contender series, and most of S.E. Hinton's books. Don't worry about meeting this criteria exactly any help would really be appreciated as I am having a hard time finding what to read next.

I'm not sure if these would be like what you are looking for but, they are about a kid who lives in a bad neighborhood and joins a gang and what not. It has been years since I read them, but they were good. Nicky Cruz was the kid and David Wilkerson the preacher. The books talk about the other person in them, if I remember correctly, but they are the stories about themselves, so it's not like reading the same story twice.

The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
Run, Baby, Run by Nicky Cruz

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. Though this novel is about mob rule and peer pressure in a school, it does have a boxing match.

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier. Though this novel is about mob rule and peer pressure in a school, it does have a boxing match.

Perfect suggestion. Robert Cormier has also written some other great books.

I also suggest A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess, though it can be a bit graphic.

Thanks for all of the recommendations so far. I've been looking over some of them and they look really promising. Hopefully I can find enough to keep me busy for a while.

Back