• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need new series of books!!!

Tessa

Hi, I'm looking for a new (old) serie of books, you may also recommend autors. I just finished Earthchildren books by JM Auel, I liked the Harry Potterbooks but not LOTR. Otherwise I enjoin Stephen King.

If you liked Auel, you'll probably like the series by William Sarabande (Joan Cline): I think she's up to twelve books already, but I gave up after the fifth. It's very much like Earth Children: a bit too much at times even.
King's Dark Tower is wonderful of course, as Ell pointed out.
I can't think of a series in the line of Harry Potter right now though. Maybe it'll come to me.

I though LOTH was kind of slow, or maybe it was just the wrong time to read it, after the reading attempt I saw the first movie and was glad the 3 hours were past...beautiful nature pics though

You should try reading the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey! I really enjoyed those books. there are so many, too, so you can keep yourself occupied in the world of Pern for quite a while. They are mostly fantasy-oriented, but they go faster than LOTR (I didn't enjoy reading those either!). :)

I have had the Earthchildren series suggested to me recently, and as I am working my way through the UKs Top 100 books of which it features I think the Clan of the Cave Bear must be quite good.

I believe there are 5 in the series, is this right? Are they very good? Can you describe the style and appeal to me?

Cheers

Mxx

I just read The Shelters of Stone (book#5) in the EC series. I must declare that it must be the worst book in the series. Sadly I had to labor through it- I had to know what happens next. The previous four novels are great- highly entertaining reading.

As Tessa, I am also searching for a good series. I prefer a series instead of stand-alone fiction. The series that others (so far) have recommended are:

The Dark Tower series by King
The Children of the Lion series by Peter Danielson
The Dune chronicles by Frank Herbert
The Vampire Chronicles by Rice
The Jack Ryan series by Clancy

From the list above, I have read most of the Clancy novels, two of the Anne Rice books and the first DUNE novel. They were fun to read.

Which series is worth reading?
I would like to know also Tessa.

What about the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman? It is very highly regarded by critics, and, like Harry Potter, is meant to be for older children but is widely read by adults. It is an excellent fantasy series that also deals with weighty issues such as the nature of religion (don't let that put you off! ;) )

Another older childrens trilogy I liked which is perfectly readable for adults is by Stephen Bowkett. The books are called Ice, Storm and Thaw. They are set in our world far in the future after there has been another Ice Age. The people are controlled by a kind of Big Brother figure and there is a curious mix of technology, primitive beliefs and mysticism. Highly recommended! :)

What age range are you thinking of when you say 'older children'?

I noticed His Dark Materials is topping lists of 12-16 year olds and Potter is topping the lists of 5-8 year olds.

To be honest, I'm 24 and still read Mr Men books!

Mxx

Murphyz - probably 11 years onwards, but of course it depends on the maturity of the reader.

I'm glad I'm not the only one reading children's books, I seem to have gone mad on reading children's fiction recently, especially fantasy. It's probably because when I actually was a child, I mostly read pony books, as I was mad on horses!
:eek:

I tend to read childrens books every few months as there are many great ones out there and it good to have some light reading on the go, especially before bedtime. My favourite one of late is Marianne Dreams, although I also just read Jude the Obscure which is apparantly a childrens book (although a very grim one if it is).

Currently I'm picking my way through the Narnia Chronicles and Goodnight Mr Tom, both of which have been read before.

Mxx

I read the Narnia books fairly recently, after I bought a one-volume set of all 7(?) books at a discount book shop for £4.99! Before that, I remember reading some of them when I was at primary school, so it was nice to read them all in order. I must say that they haven't really stuck in my memory, except for the end of the last one which I found shocking to be honest. I think I'd rather read Pullman :)

Have you read the Artemis Fowl books? They are very good - lots of excitement and humour.

I got two sets of the Narnia books for Christmas, one hardback and one soft back.

I have read the first Artemis Fowl, which I did enjoy, and am just waiting to get my hands on the others to continue reading. The first one is an option in my book group for August so if it manages to beat 1984 when we have decided what to read I may just treat myself and buy the second one so I don't have to re-read the first.

I started reading Northern Lights a while ago, but I only read the first hundred pages or so whilst I was on the tube for an hour - I haven't gone back to finish it yet, although I know that I must.

Mxx

You should definitely carry on with Northern Lights, it does start a bit slowly in my opinion, but once it gets going I think you'll be hooked! The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are equally as good.

I think the third Artemis Fowl (The Eternity Code) was my favourite. :)

It seems you enjoy the dark side of literature :cool:

So. Drop everything and run to your local bookshops and get Necroscope by Brian Lumley.
This is first in oh, about 13 novels of the most original vampire premise I have read.
I have read the first four so far and enjoyed them immensely!!

I didn't particulary care for Artemis Fowl. My 13 year old son raved about it, sp I borrowed his first book. Can't really say why, except I didn't like the characters. Harry Potter has ruined me.

Gah, my gf has just bought all of the Famous Five and Narnia books, so i might have to plunge back into them again - plus ive still got all my Hardy Boys books lying around :)

Recently, I read Artemis Fowl which I didn't enjoyed it because the characters aren't good enough. Really shame because I have high expection on this book and found it letdown!

The Alex cross series by James Patterson:
Along came the Spider
Kiss the girl
Jack and Jill
Cat and Mouse
Pop goes the weasel
Roses are red
Violets are blue
The big bad wolf

and it still continous

Back