• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

need recommendtions for new writers

Neo80

i start reading science fiction when i was 14, my first sf book was the Naked Sun by Asimov
after that book, i read almost all of Asimov books, then i star looking for other writers.
over all these years i read only for a selected numbers of sf writers, mostly Arthur C.Clarke,
David Brin, Gregory Benford, Philip K.Dick, Vernor Vinge, William Gibson & Peter F Hamilton, that beside the spin-off novels like Star Trek & Star Wars
but now i want to read for other writers, a friend recommended Diaspora by Greg Egan, well
i couldn't finish the bloody book, i barley made it to page 40 then i gave up.
i want to read for a writer as good as Asimov or Vernor Vinge, any recommend

I cannot help but notice these are all men. I recommend Ursula K. LeGuin (esp. The Dispossessed) as a first step to stopping all that. Also Sherri Tepper is good. Anne McCaffrey if you like things sort of fantasy-oriented. Also James Tiptree, Jr. (a woman, despite the name).

i read some of Greg Bear books & the one i liked more was Eon it was really good but felt kind old now, for Poul Anderson i just start reading The Boat of a million years, so far it ok
it ture that all of these writers are men, i can't help it :)
did any body read any of Alastair Reynolds books ie Revelation Space or Redemption Ark, i didn't read them yet

If you like William Gibson, you might like Pat Cadigan. I'm reading Tea From an Empty Cup at the moment. Similar science to Gibson's cyberspace novels, though more of a detective story. I do find the oft mentioned term 'Artificial Reality' a little irritating, though. I mean, if its artificial its not reality, is it?

Feminism, feminism...

Originally posted by deborama
I cannot help but notice these are all men. I recommend Ursula K. LeGuin (esp. The Dispossessed) as a first step to stopping all that. Also Sherri Tepper is good. Anne McCaffrey if you like things sort of fantasy-oriented. Also James Tiptree, Jr. (a woman, despite the name).

Why is it that people always come back to the idea that there might be a 'problem' with most recognised as good SF writers being men? I do not mean that women SF writers are not good writers as well. Just thinking that it is not at all a necessity to use the gender of a writer as a sign of must-read. :mad:
I could not but recommend reading Donna Haraway, especially her Cyborg Manifesto.
Oh, if you wonder, I am a woman, not a man, by the way, and I find McCaffrey very boringly female. :eek:

Morry

I would recommend Richard Morgan if you are looking for a bright new author - i loved his debut Altered Carbon

How about China Mieville or Adam Roberts for something a bit different.

Recommends:
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
On - Adam Roberts

If you want new authors instead of just older ones you never read I think C. D. Moulton is really good for the kinds of things like Asimov wrote, plus there's a lot of humor in the ones after the third or fourth one. I've got through book 7 and just ordered book 8-9. I got most of them e-books, but the last one and the two I ordered are the regular paper books.
I got three of them in Paris, but the paper books cost too much for shipping, so they go to my sister's and she will send them to me.
I really liked his ghost book too if you like something a little different.

Back