• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need some good recommendations

joquiero

I'm kind of at an impasse. I don't know what I'm going to do with my life - and need some inspirational reading, something that will ignite something inside me.

I've been reading a lot of existentialist novels lately ie fightclub, nausea, oliver twist and now am reading 'Coming up for Air' by Orwell.

I'd really appreciate recommendations for books that if not able to help me make sense of life, will be at least distracting enough to make me temporarily forget!! (but please, no books with religious themes as I'm an atheist!!)

thanks

I always find the final chapters of nausea incredibly inspirational. But i guess inspirational books could be Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer which documents the story of chris mccandless - an america kid who upon graduation donated all his savings to oxfam and hit the road. She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb is also a powerful book and i know i lost myself in it for a good few days, same with Memoirs of a Geisha.

There are some excellent suggestions for books with philosophical leanings here, if you think that might be of help. I'd certainly recommend Candide to anyone.

joquiero said:
I'd really appreciate recommendations for books that if not able to help me make sense of life, will be at least distracting enough to make me temporarily forget!!

There's an interesting on-line book/blog you may enjoy reading called Half Confessions of a Sociopath.

http://newroom.blogdrive.com/

Back