• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need some suggestions please

gregd71

I'm looking for a new author, hopefully one with many books. I've read everything by R.A. Salvatore, and just finished the last of David Gemmell's. I've enjoyed every one. So, something of that type fantasy.

I've been putzing along with David Eddings, but they seem to be a little made up as they were written. No real depth. I kind of stalled out on the 4th Belgariad book here.

Help!!

thanks,
Greg

Hmm sees you like heoric or swprd/sorcery fantasy with Gemmell and RAS, I agree I thinK Eddings is horrible, but I would also add RAS and Gemmell's works aren't exactly known for their depth either, however that said I would recommend Fritz Leiber's work in Lanhmar. if you liked the Forgotten Realms setting (RAS), try his Demonwar's stuff.

My long, boring list of Fantasy series that I liked (but, hey...I'm easily amused!!!) in no particular order:

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin
Book 1 - A Game of Thrones
Book 2 - A Clash of Kings
Book 3 - A Storm of Swords
Book 4 - A Feast For Crows

Runelords by David Farland
Book 1 - The Sum of All Men
Book 2 - Brotherhood of the Wolf
Book 3 - Wizardborn
Book 4 - The Lair of Bones

Dragoncrown War by Michael A. Stackpole
Book 1 - Fortress Darconis
Book 2 - When Dragons Rage
Book 3 - The Grand Crusade

The Banned and the Banished by James Clemens
Book 1 - Wit'ch Fire
Book 2 - Wit'ch Storm
Book 3 - Wit'ch War
Book 4 - Wit'ch Gate
Book 5 - Wit'ch Star

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.
Book 1 - Gardens of the Moon
Book 2 - Deadhouse Gates
Book 3 - Memories of Ice

The Prince of Nothing by R. Scott Bakker
Book 1 - The Darkness That Comes Before
Book 2 - The Warrior Prophet

Winds of the Forelands by David B. Coe
Book 1 - Rules of Ascension
Book 2 - Seeds of Betrayal
Book 3 - Bonds of Vengeance

Tyrants and Kings by John Marco
Book 1 - The Jackal of Nar
Book 2 - The Grand Design
Book 3 - The Saints of the Sword

Akari Spirits by John Marco
Book 1 - The Eyes of God
Book 2 - The Devil's Armor
Book 3 - The Sword of Angels (comes out in Sep 2005)

Keys of Power by Simon Brown
Book 1 - Inheritance
Book 2 - Fire and Sword
Book 3 - Sovereign

Fifth Ring by Mitchell Graham
Book 1 - The Fifth Ring
Book 2 - The Emerald Cavern
Book 3 - The Ancient Legacy

Chronicles of Blood and Stone by Robert Newcomb
Book 1 - The Fifth Sorceress
Book 2 - The Gates of Dawn
Book 3 - The Scrolls of the Ancients

Sileria by Laura Resnick
Book 1 - In Legend Born
Book 2 - In Fire Forged
Book 3 - The Destroyer Goddess

Tears of Artamon by Sarah Ash
Book 1 - Lord of Snow and Shadows
Book 2 - Prisoner of the Iron Tower

Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone by Greg Keyes
Book 1 - The Briar King
Book 2 - The Charnel Prince

Sceptre of Mercy by Dan Chernenko
Book 1 - The Bastard King
Book 2 - The Chernagor Pirates
Book 3 - The Sceptre's Return

The King's Blades by Dave Duncan
Book 1 - The Gilded Chain
Book 2 - Lord of the Fire Lands
Book 3 - Sky of Swords
Book 4 - Paragon Lost
Book 5 - Impossible Odds
Book 6 - The Jaguar Knights

Lord of the Isles by David Drake
Book 1 - Lord of the Isles
Book 2 - Queen of Demons
Book 3 - Servant of the Dragon
Book 4 - Mistress of the Catacombs
Book 5 - Goddess of the Ice Realm
Book 6 - Master of the Cauldron

The best book I have read recently is called "Think Woodchuck" by Edward Maxwell. It is not scifi but it is really surreal. Check it out.

Well, apart from the Lord of the Rings, the absolute best fantasy that I've ever read--though I was young at the time--is the Dragonlance Saga from Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. Its got depth and a nice plot--mind, I'm talking about the books from Weis and Hickman...I can't account for the countless "spinoffs" in the Dragonlance world from other authors!

Yeah, it's many many years since I read them, but Dragon Lance were quite fun, and there were a lot of books, always a plus.

My favourite fantasy author is Raymond E. Feist. His best book to start with is Magician - also his best. And I also like a relatively little known author called Simon R Green. He's written both science fiction and fantasy. Try Blue Moon Rising. There was also a great quasi-fantasy of his called 'Shadows Fall'. It's about a town called Shadows Fall where legends go to die. Hence all the old comic book heroes and a good many characters from folklore and legends go there when they're not popular anymore. Slightly strange book, but really good and different from anything else I've read.

Nakmeister

Robin Hobb's Farseer is decent light reading.
I like Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time even though others hate it.

Malazan book of the fallen by Steven Erikson. The first four books are out right now and there is going to be about 10. The book takes place in a vast land and it is a complex and challenging novel with a lot of action and mystery.

Nakmeister said:
Yeah, it's many many years since I read them, but Dragon Lance were quite fun, and there were a lot of books, always a plus.

My favourite fantasy author is Raymond E. Feist. His best book to start with is Magician - also his best. And I also like a relatively little known author called Simon R Green. He's written both science fiction and fantasy. Try Blue Moon Rising. There was also a great quasi-fantasy of his called 'Shadows Fall'. It's about a town called Shadows Fall where legends go to die. Hence all the old comic book heroes and a good many characters from folklore and legends go there when they're not popular anymore. Slightly strange book, but really good and different from anything else I've read.

Nakmeister

I agree completely with all of those.

have you read terry goodkind? i quite liked his books but then again i liked david eddings especially the redemption of althalus, belgariod and mallorean but not so much his later works which seem have a similar sort of storyline.

Back