• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman: The Sandman

I'm a big fan of Gaiman novel-wise, and I want to get into this Sandman-business also.

Can someone give me a timeline on this - how many are there, titles, in which order published, in which order best read?

Cheers

There are 10 books, listed here in the order they were published:

1. Preludes and Nocturnes
2. The doll's house
3. Dream country
4. Season of Mists
5. A game of you
6. Fables and reflections
7. Brief lives
8. Worlds End
9. The kindly ones
10. The wake

Dream country, Fables and reflections and Worlds end are collections of shorter stories. A lot of these stories are not so important for the main storyline.

I suggest you start at number one and read them in the order they were published.

I predict that in five months and two days you'll be asking that same question.
Don't get cocky with me - I'm downloading the entire Sandman series right now.

Don't tell anyone, though.

Cheers

Martin said:
Don't get cocky with me - I'm downloading the entire Sandman series right now.
Are you gonna read them on your computer then or print them out? Cause I just couldn't do that... My eyes would either dry out or my ink cartridge would.

Someone remembered and referred to my post. Cheers lies, now I know what you meant about the 5 months and 2 days thing.

Martin, what? Downloading Sandman? How could you? Without giving me the link as well???

ds

Lies - beats spending loads of cash I do not have.

DS - it's p2p, but I'll think of you when I have it (it's a very big and slow download).

Cheers

Martin said:
DS - it's p2p, but I'll think of you when I have it (it's a very big and slow download).
I'm touched. :) I've already got the whole Sandman library, however. So no thanks (at least not for Sandman, anyway). :)

ds

Hy Bender's The Sandman Companion

lies said:
I bought that, but it's been lying there unread for years now.
Have you read it yet? Since I started collecting the series in hard cover... I like to read the chapter in the Sandman Companion that pertains to the novel I just read. In the interviews, Gaiman sometimes discusses the story panel by panel... and I like to follow along...

YAY! It's really cool actually being able to look at the panel Gaiman's discussing. When I read the companion before I got the graphic novels, I was like, aww shit... 'coz I was totally clueless as to what he was talking about (I hadn't read them in 3 years or so...).

I hope you find it worthwhile. ;)

I never really got into graphic novels until a friend started me on the Sandman series. I wish McKean, who illustrates the covers, would contribute more to the overall art. I like his style, however dark and skewed it is. Gaiman's Coraline is a great book written for young adults, although I find it has great appeal even to adults. His children's books, I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish and The Wolves in the Walls make for astonishingly good reading with their unique illustrations and ironic plot twists.

Word_Addict said:
I wish McKean, who illustrates the covers, would contribute more to the overall art.
I love McKean. I went to an exposition of his work once and it was fun to get an overview of what he's capable of.

Back