• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Never judge a book by it's cover, or should you?

Thankyou, I always like to get my 'you're odd & stupid' fix in sometime before midday, that way it's done with for the day.

i hardly ever pay attention to covers, only because i know some of my favorites have had lame covers. i always read the reviews and the reviewer, the blurb on the back or inside cover, and sometimes a few pages from somewhere in the book.

Gimmick cover?

Hello. I'm new to this forum, I hope it's okay to reply to this topic even though it's a little old.

The best cover I've seen lately is on a book I just read called The Preservationist written by David Maine. Has anyone seen this? it's a retelling of THE Noah's ark story and the cover is a doozy. It's in 2 pieces--the hardcover background has the ark about 3/4 of the way up the cover, but the dust jacket which is in the form of ocean waves comes up only to reach the bottom of the boat. So, it looks like the boat is floating on water. (This is what you see on Amazon.com or wherever.) But when you pull away the dust jacket the ark is sitting on a hilltop with all these animals tramping away two by two.

Okay, I know it sounds cheesy, and I don't usually go for gimmicks (just like you, right? ha ha) but this cover made me pick the book up and look at it. And then I bought it and guess what? It's a great book.

Unless i have read about the book beforehand, or its written by someone i like, then i always rely on the cover to attract me. Ofcourse this isn't the only factor in buying it, i read the blurb on the back, and the reviews, and who they are from, and to be honest if i'm not convinced by then, i won't bother reading the first couple of pages, i just put it back.

I'm sure there are lots of books i have missed out on, but hey i'm not pyscic ;). The cover is there for a reason, to attract people, and give them the slightest inclination of what the book may be about

I think the cover is brilliant, I'd like to read it.

However, in my work organization, all the managers are women. But it might look vulgar to have a woman in a skirt/dress with her head up her rear.

Don't feel bad!!!

I would never feel bad about buying a book based on its cover - not buying a book maybe :)

The way I look at it - they want us to become interested in the book because of the cover - otherwise they'd all be brown with the title and the author'sname :p

I was on another thread on this forum where they were talking about a book I JUST BOUGHT panning it because of the stuff written on the back. I actually thought it sounded kind of interesting :confused:

Have you ever bought a book despite the bad cover or the stuff on the back?

Beth

I'll usually read the first few pages of a book, or scope out the back before making any final judgments on wether to read it or not. But, other times I make an impulse purchase due to cover art, such as the MST trilogy by Tad Williams and a few others, none of which I regret buying.

Although I think it's stupid, I think covers DO have SOME impact on whether you purchase a book or not...They usually can convey a sense of the book's 'feeling'...

I usually choose NEW books based on recomendations, cover, blurb and flavour...a lemongrass/ginger combo is my favourite...

I honestly almost always judge books by their covers. If they have a lame cover, they probably have a lame publishing company, and if they have a lame pub. company, it probably isn't an extremely good book. I know it's terrible of me, and I'm probably missing out on books that I would absolutely love, but a books that catch my eye have proven to be worthwhile. As for the blurb on the back of books (or on the inside flap in the case of most hardbacks), I've learned never to trust them except to get a very vauge idea of what the book is about. They always end up giving you the wrong idea about a book, kind of like movie previews. That's my opinion though.

I rarely judge a book by its cover. A good cover has gotten me to pick up a book every once in a while, but I usually read the blurb on the back/inside cover first. If its a new author, then I usually read the first chapter or so before deciding to pick out a book to read. Most of the time I don't even noticed the cover until after I've started reading the book.

its whats inside that counts
are we talking figuratively or literally btw?!

either way>>same answer

The most important thing for me when I'm buying a book, is that it has a good title, and a good description. The cover art isn't really any of my interest. But if the book has maps and sketches of characters, that does give a few extra points. :)

Dear Informed Readers,

I had my first book: In Search Of Competence- ISBN 1903464471, published earlier this year and am finalising a second (The Tower Of Babble) for release, March 2005. Its business / management humor / satire.

The first is going well so far BUT I'm very interested in Readers feedback as to whether people would consider the book, based on its cover? Would you pick up the book, give it a second thought or even consider buying it on the basis of this cover? Is it offensive, ribald or appropriate?

Any feedback would be much appreciated - be as blunt as you wish. :eek:

Kind regards,
Jack Feeney.

It's different from person to person, really, but I personally would not consider if a book is worth reading by its cover. The book description is the most important thing. If you have a boring book description, then it's obvious that noone wants to read it (except if the reader does not read the book description, ofcourse.)

I think it's very difficult not to judge a book by it's cover. In a book shop there are just so many covers that your eye will automatically be drawn to a particular cover. I don't think I've ever bought a book based on this but I definately use it to judge which books to read the blurb of unless I'm looking for a particular title/ author.

Slightly off-topic but this keeps happening to me with a Cher cd. I don't even like Cher but the cover to one of her albums is so captivating that my eye keeps being driven to it, similar things to with books I guess.

Now you come to mention it I think I am influenced by by the art work.Its not so much that I am drawn to good art work,more that I am repelled by bad art work.And for reasons unknown to myself,I am never inclined to buy a book with a photograph on the front?!

Back