• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Amazon Feature - good for authors!

namedujour

I was on Amazon last night, and evidently caught them testing a new feature. It's gone this morning, but I've seen them do this before. I expect to see the feature back in a week or so.

In addition to "People who bought (viewed) this book also bought (viewed)" they listed the percentage of people who viewed the book, then actually bought it.

In other words, if your title gets 100 hits and nine sales, you're selling to 9% of the readers who found your book.

They also listed books people bought instead of your book. I poked around and saw that some authors had people hitting their book pages, but went off and bought something else. Sometimes, my book was the "something else" that people bought!

What was thrilling to me was that my book was selling to one person in four who found it. Some people wandered off and bought other books, but my book had a higher percentage of sales-per-hits than any of the other books I'd lost a sale to. That's pretty good. What it tells me is that my Amazon book page is effective, and set up to sell that book.

Authors can use this information. If you find your book is drawing in customers but not selling to them, you need to study your title page and decide how it can be improved. Then, go straight to Amazon (most publishers don't do a very good job of this - it's really up to the author) and have them make some changes to it. Most of the time, you can submit title page changes through an online form, but if you email Amazon directly for things you can't change that way, most of the time they'll do it.

Checklist:

* Cover art
* Effective book description
* NO NO NO misspellings!! No grammatical errors!!
* Professional reviews
* Excerpt (choose this carefully, make it as long as they allow you, and END IT WITH AN INCOMPLETE SENTENCE!! Make people who read the excerpt a little frustrated and anxious to read more so they can find out what happens.)

If you make things as perfect as you can, you should see your percentage improve.

I'm really excited about this!! It's going to be great!

Yeah, that will be good. Though, I don't decide on a book depending on how many people have bought it, I still think its a good feature.

Very interesting, namedujour - is this something that will just be visible to authors, or to the general public? I'm probably not much good for their statistics - I tend to use Amazon most frequently as a review library, looking at books I've already bought or already read to see what other people thought of them, rather than to actually buy them. I guess factual books on niche themes will have higher buy-to-view rates than, say, general fiction.

I also noticed this cool Amazon feature; although, it keeps disappearing / reappearing...

Back