• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Cure album

New Cure?

• No. I'm holding out for the new Starland Vocal Band.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
CMJ News Story

The Cure Celebrate Lucky 13 With Singles, Tour
May 2, 2008
Story by: Michael Tedder

Superstition being for lesser men, the Cure are about to go all out to celebrate the release of their thirteenth album. The long-running alternative rock icons will release four new singles, each with an exclusive b-side, on the thirteenth of every month until the September 13 release of the new, as-of-yet untitled album. Each single will be available both digitally and in stores. Confirmed singles at the moment are May 13's "The Only One," backed with "NY Trip" and June 13's "Freakshow," which will include the b-side "All Kinds Of Stuff."

Further information about the upcoming album, which will be released on Suretone/Geffen Records, is scarce at the moment, though it has been confirmed that it will be the first album in more than a decade to feature the group's on-again, off-again guitarist Porl Thompson and was produced by Cure-keeper Robert Smith along with Keith Uddin.

As of now, the group is a four piece, with Smith and Thompson backed by long-time rhythm section of bassist Simon Gallup and drummer Jason Cooper. Whether this line-up indicates that the new album will be sans the Cure's trademark whooshing keyboard lines remains to be seen. Though Smith has publicly stated in interviews that he wants to release a double-album, a Geffen representative indicated that this will be a one-disc affair.

One sure thing about the new album, though, is that Smith postponed a lengthy tour last year in order to have more time to get it finished. Now that the album is done, the tour is back on, starting May 9 at DC's Patriot Center. They will be joined on all dates by 65daysofstatic and will also drop by The Sasquatch Festival.

In the age of one sided CDs, does B-side really mean anything?

I think the irony here would be if Stewart didn't like The Cure or Sonic Youth.

This will probably be one of the few releases of 2008 that I'll buy. I've been looking forward to this album for quite some time. Of course, it'd be great if Starland Vocal Band would put out something new but I guess I can't have it all.

Back