• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

new here-sorry if this has been done to death

starjewel25

...but I have a book I want to get out there and haven't been able to get an agent! I've sent 10 queries to random lit agencies (just googled them). Most of them sent back very generic rejection letters; a few didn't respond. I sent one query to Dorrance publishing group and the instant reply I got gave me the heebiejeebies, so I did some research. Don't like what I see...
Anyway... do I need an agent? Should I self-publish? I've got the money to do that, and I don't expect or want to make a million dollars off my work (who am I kidding--of course I'd love to roll in the dough!!) I just want to put the book out there for some to read. Also I want to be able to say I did it, you know?
Advice please!!!!!

thanks

It has been done and useful information seems to be spread through a number of threads here. It just takes searching, but it will be worth your while.

Stay away from Dorrance, their reputation leaves a lot to be desired.

Slow down and take the time to research how the literary world works. Getting an agent is hard going, but it's the traditional route to the big time. Take the time to research agents, here's a link to a free agent-search site. AuthorAdvance | The Writers' Community

If you can't get an agent, it doesn't mean your writing isn't any good (Well, then again, it could.) Agents don't go for quality writing, they go for something in the field they're familiar with, and something that will make money for them.

If you've run out of agents, you could then consider the self-publishing route. But familiarize yourself with that first, also.

In other words, it's time to do your homework. Here's a link to get started. Ralan.com - Writing Links Page

JohnB

John gives some excellent advice. Getting an agent (and self-publishing as well) can be a long, hard slog, but that doesn't mean you should give up. Be persistent, and keep up your encouragement. If you feel that many rejections _could_ be due to perhaps some errors or inconsistencies in your writing, check out some freelance copy editors. Most of the best ones will give you a free sample edit on a page or two of your text, and that can at least give you an idea of maybe what direction you need to go in from there.

Back