• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New here

Kaioti

Hi. I've recently started collecting books seriously. By seriously I mean ones that I can afford or are weird enough to interest me.

I kinda like the copies that have little notes in them or papers long forgotten.

So anyway. I'm new, and want to share my finds, and hear about yours. :)

Nice to meet you!

Victorian era cheapy boards mostly. Early 1900's with a nice art nouveau cover will get me to buy something I may or may not read, but I do read most of them, if possible.

I like fiction mostly, but also like guides. Like I recently purchased a copy of Pharmacopeia of the United States of America (this one had some really neat things stuck in it. I described them in the new acquisition thread.)
Anatomy, illustrated birds/mammals. Things like that.

Weird things, and books that give a glimpse into the way people thought at the time make me very happy. Like the leather bound new Standard American Business Guide I have. It is readable, but the spine is rough. Anyway it is fully intact...except where two pages are missing from a bit on wedding invitations. They are the only missing pages and are clearly torn out. So I made up a story about a young and vibrant bride-to-be tearing the page from her fiances or fathers book and taking it straight to the printers.

Is that story worth the buck I gave for the book? Even if it's entirely untrue? Absolutely.

Oh, Also, I cannot find THIS: 1899 (says 1899-reprint from 1895, might be 1900??) Little Brown and Co. Illustrated copy of Black, the Story of a Dog - Alexandre Dumas. Red cloth binding with gilt embossing of a floral diamond on the cover, bunch of flowers on the spine.

ANYWHERE online. Nothing. Not a photo to confirm, Nothing at all. My curiosity is annoyed by this and help would be appreciated ;)

Oh, Also, I cannot find THIS: 1899 (says 1899-reprint from 1895, might be 1900??) Little Brown and Co. Illustrated copy of Black, the Story of a Dog - Alexandre Dumas. Red cloth binding with gilt embossing of a floral diamond on the cover, bunch of flowers on the spine.

ANYWHERE online. Nothing. Not a photo to confirm, Nothing at all. My curiosity is annoyed by this and help would be appreciated ;)

What are you looking for exactly?

A sales list description, a photo...anything really. I'm kinda freaked out by the prospect that it might be a thing that is not on the internet. I mean maybe it's not real...lol!

Plus if the copy I have is one from a set, and someone was missing it in theirs, I could help someone complete a set. Which would be a fuzzy thing to do. Or perhaps I will seek my own full set, but need prices to see if it is viable.

I guess what you could do is check eBay for recent auctions to get an idea of what Dumas books from that time period go for.

Wow that sounds so cool! I have images of Johnny Depp now in that film where he is a rare book collector (I can't remember the name). I'd love to see a photo of your collection too!

I have looked. Every applicable keyword, at BEST turns up the 1895 blue bound sets.
I will get some pics tomorrow. :)

Very glad to see your serious interest in books as books, rather than just as means to an end (education, entertainment, advancement, relaxation, escape etc).
Offhand, ABE Books (online) comes to mind for a place you might find it, or at least find the name(s) of antiquarian booksellers who might help you.
And, just for reading pleasure, Helene Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road might inspire you.

Welcome,
please stay in touch.
Peder

A sales list description, a photo...anything really. I'm kinda freaked out by the prospect that it might be a thing that is not on the internet. I mean maybe it's not real...lol!

Plus if the copy I have is one from a set, and someone was missing it in theirs, I could help someone complete a set. Which would be a fuzzy thing to do. Or perhaps I will seek my own full set, but need prices to see if it is viable.

Have you tried directly contacting any antiquarian booksellers?

I don't know your location, but, for example here in N.O., there is one in the French Quarter. Dauphine Street Books, (504) 529-2333 is a great "hole-in-the-wall" book heaven. :) The owner is quite knowledgable.

Another local is McKeown's Books and Difficult Music (504) 895-1954, she may know of it.

Good Luck and Welcome.

Very glad to see your serious interest in books as books, rather than just as means to an end (education, entertainment, advancement, relaxation, escape etc).
Offhand, ABE Books (online) comes to mind for a place you might find it, or at least find the name(s) of antiquarian booksellers who might help you.
And, just for reading pleasure, Helene Hanff's 84 Charing Cross Road might inspire you.

Welcome,
please stay in touch.
Peder

Peder: was reading your post and when you mentioned 'Charing Cross Road' I remembered I'd seen the film made from it with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins - it was a really good film. Don't know if it followed the book closely as I hadn't read the book but it was certainly worth watching.

I saw the film too....and read the book many years ago. /sigh/ :D It's been too long to remember exactly how close they were though. My dim recollection is that the film followed the heart if not the letter of the book.

Peder: was reading your post and when you mentioned 'Charing Cross Road' I remembered I'd seen the film made from it with Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins - it was a really good film. Don't know if it followed the book closely as I hadn't read the book but it was certainly worth watching.

The NYT obituary was very charming also -- referring to the book as "a 19th century book in a 20th century world . . . which will put you in touch with humanity," if I remember correctly. Google willl turn it up.

Back