• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New James Bond Book

Shade said:
Chris, I am having to ask you for the third time to explain where I have been unable to express myself clearly. You have not done so yet.

You have also still not explained the comments about 'plums in their mouths'.

This is a discussion about James Bond books which has got sidetracked by your personal attacks, Chris. Please deal with these questions properly so that we can get back on track.

Using completely negative comments (post 14) about books you have not read and using another persons review from Amazon to back up your comments. If you had looked on Amazon you would have seen that the Average Customer Review for that book was 5 stars from 5.

The Plum comment I used was because of the tone of your post.

ValkyrieRaven88 said:
Just out of curiosity, I have a question to ask of those who have read the books. Are they worth reading? Are they any good?

Absolutely... at least the Fleming novels. Colonel Sun isn't bad either. But the majority of Gardner's are trite and cliche, seemingly written more for fans of the films than of Fleming's books.

I've clearly been away from the board too long. I'm a big Bond fan, particularly of the novels, and really should have been in on this discussion from the beginning. But that's my fault.

Are Fleming's Bonds among the greatest literary works in history? No. But compared to most writers of the spy/espionage/thriller genre, they are exceptional. Now I must admit I've never read John Le Carre, Frederick Forsyth, or really any of the more "respected" authors in that genre, but I know what I like, and I like Fleming's stuff.

Fleming's Bond is a unique character, upon whom many subsequent spies/detectives are modeled. Contrary to popular belief, women do want him, but men would NOT want to be him. His curious profession leaves it all but impossible for him to lead a "normal" life. Yes, he thrives on high-stakes gambling, experiences fantastic adventure and enjoys hot bedroom action (sorry, couldn't resist :D ) with beautiful women, but he's at heart a very lonely man. He did try being married once, but... well, I don't want to play spoiler so I'll just say he is no longer married. While most people look for that ideal mate to spend the rest of one's life with, Bond must settle for brief (albeit passionate) affairs with women he can and will never see again.

Unlike the movie Bond, he is not an invincible superhero, but rather a well-trained and intelligent man with extraordinarily good luck. The films have only at times hinted of the real Bond, usually substituting a charming actor who can stand around with a twinkle in his eye and make quips while incredible action explodes harmlessly around him.

At this point I'd like to respond to some significant points brought up by earlier posters:

1) Amis wrote Colonel Sun under a pseudonym not because he didn't want to be credited for it, but because the original plan was to have several different authors try their hands at writing Bond, all under the same name. After the first novel was met with lukewarm reception, however, the idea was scrapped.

2) Diamonds Are Forever is widely regarded as one of the least of the original Fleming novels, so it would be unfortunate for you to base your opinion of the entire series on that entry alone. With the exception of said title, The Man With The Golden Gun (of which Fleming only completed a rough draft before passing away) and Goldfinger, the series is generally favorable.

3) I think Raymond Benson, author of The James Bond Bedside Companion, put it best when he said, "If Fleming's novels would be enjoyed over an evening at a gourmet restaurant, Gardner's would be munched on at McDonald's."

I can only hope Benson's entries in the series are closer to Fleming than Gardner's.

And I am very curious to see who this new author will be...

Fenster said:
But the majority of Gardner's are trite and cliche, seemingly written more for fans of the films than of Fleming's books
I think that you may have been a bit unfair to John Gardner. He took over from where Flemming left off (I know there was Colonel Sun but that was a one off that did'nt seem to work) and he had to update Bond with ageing him much but keep the Flemming style. I think he did a very good job.

Fenster said:
Are Fleming's Bonds among the greatest literary works in history? No. But compared to most writers of the spy/espionage/thriller genre, they are exceptional.
Maybe, but Gardner is the better writer having written many of his own spy/espionage/thriller novels including the Boysie Oakes series before he started the Bond books.

Back